PDA

View Full Version : Qt Solution : QPropertyBrowser License question

Darktib
9th May 2010, 17:13
Hello,

I am using QPropertyBrowser under the LGPL license, and with a dll for the moment. The 'INSTALL.txt' file is not very clear whether you could use this extension with static linking. So, my question is :

Do I have the right to statically link against QPropertyBrowser with a LGPL license ? Or I must continues using dynamic linking ?

Thank you in advance,

~Darktib

squidge
9th May 2010, 17:35
From what I've read: You can statically link against QPropertyBrowser as long as one of the following is true:
- You use the commercial version of the component
- Your application is open-source

If neither of the above is true, you should stick with the dynamic version.

Darktib
9th May 2010, 18:04
Thank you for your quick answer.
My software is open-source (I am still hesitating on the license, LGPL or zlib).
I will link statically according to what you've said.

Lykurg
9th May 2010, 18:24
If you develop an open source application can use GPL and LGPL licenced software in any way you want! (If you are not altering the sources. Then you have to publish that changes and say that you have changed it. But normal use: no problems...)

wysota
9th May 2010, 22:16
If you develop an open source application can use GPL and LGPL licenced software in any way you want!
No, you can't. The licence of your software has to be (L)GPL compatible (not all of them are, there is a list somewhere available) and you have to respect all aspects of the original licence. Let's not confuse "open source" with "public domain".

Lykurg
10th May 2010, 11:09
No, you can't. The licence of your software has to be (L)GPL compatibleYou are right, I forgott to mention that.

Darktib
10th May 2010, 16:27
Ok, thank you for you answers.
Currently I am not sure on which license I will use, but I will be LGPL or zlib (and no other license).
I've checked on the GNU website, zlib is compatible with LGPL.