PDA

View Full Version : Qt and graphics card

leoalvesmachado
21st May 2010, 20:22
Hi folks...

I am creating a new version of a product for my company. The first version was made using WPF, and it depends on Windows Aero to run. The version I'm working on is supposed to work in all platforms. Based on that, I'm asking you:
- Is there any feature in QT that uses Windows Aero (or depends on it to get a good performance)?
- Is there any feature in QT that uses 3D Graphics Acceleration (or depends on it to get a good performance)? I mean, that would need some graphics card to run or to get a good performance?

I believe the only feature that could use GPU acceleration is the ones related to OpenGL, and QT has no feature that uses Windows Aero. Am I right?

Thanks for your answers...

Zlatomir
21st May 2010, 20:32
Aero is based on directX graphic API (direct3d) so Qt will not depend on Aero.

As you mentioned you can program in OpenGL with Qt, or i'm pretty sure that you can use DirectX SDK with Qt(never used but should be possible), so you can take advantage of direct3d (but lose portability)

wysota
21st May 2010, 20:57
To add what is already said - you can make use of OpenGL acceleration without explicitely writing a single line of OpenGL code. Qt is able to translate regular painter commands to OpenGL. The overall gain differs on a case by case basis.