PDA

View Full Version : LGPL for QtUiTools.lib

dpatel
26th May 2010, 10:33
Hi,

I am using QtUiTools.lib in an application that I am creating. I don't want to make my application open source, and use LGPL. But according to LGPL you cannot statically link to Qt libs, but in case of QtUiTools.lib, Qt doesn't provide the dll to QtUiTools. Can anyone tell me what are my options, other than buying license for Qt.

Thanks

Boron
26th May 2010, 11:02
I think there simply is no special dll for the UiTools. I also have an application that uses the QtUiTools and I deploy with Core, Gui and Xml.dll. I can imagine that the UiTools are part of the Gui.dll.

dpatel
26th May 2010, 13:31
Yes there is no dll for UiTools. But I think that QtUiTools.lib gets statically linked with the application which violates the LGPL. That's why I am concerned.
Thanks for update.

Boron
26th May 2010, 17:33
I see no problem.
You want the application to be licensed under LGPL. So you have to link dynamically and deploy the necessary dlls next to the executable. For an application using QtUiTools no additional dll is required. That's all

dcraw101
31st July 2010, 00:47
I am also interested in this issue. I believe that statically linking the QtUiTools.lib into a closed source application would be a violation of the LGPL. But, I wonder if it is possible to work around that by manually creating a shared library that consists only of QUiLoader. The quiloader.h header file would have to be modified to include the correct QT shared library export macros. I wonder if simply modifying the header file in this manner would violate the LGPL.