PDA

View Full Version : I want to make a program like Screenlets/gDesklets?

MIH1406
29th May 2010, 23:54
Hi,

I want to know what I should have and know to make a program like Screenlets/gDesklets using Qt/C++?

Thank you,
Mohammad

tbscope
30th May 2010, 07:30
What will be the platform? Windows, KDE, GNome, MacOSX?

MIH1406
30th May 2010, 12:08
I want it to be cross platform! Or at least GNOME
I am not advanced dev but I want to train my self in making apps and this app is so interesting!
Thanks

tbscope
30th May 2010, 12:17
You need to find a common format that all the desktops support.
For example: http://code.google.com/apis/desktop/

MIH1406
30th May 2010, 12:52
I do not want to create a gadget I want to make a complete app from scratch and then I create gadgets for it.
Thanks

tbscope
30th May 2010, 13:41
Instead of wasting time for people who want to help you, try asking smart questions as in THE CORRECT question.
You now ask a different question than the original one.

Do you want to know how to communicate between your main program and some desktop widgets?
If so, look into interprocess communication, for example: dbus

MIH1406
30th May 2010, 14:51
Do you know "Screenlets" , "gDesklets", "Cairo-Dock", "Docky", "AWN" ..etc?
I want to make a program from scratch like these in Qt/C++, this is the question I do not know what is the technique they used so inform me please.
I do not want to create "Widgets"/"Applets" for these apps.

Thank you,
Mohammad

Lykurg
30th May 2010, 17:09
Hi,

please don't take it personal, but you say yourself that you are not an advanced developer and since you also can't think of the techniques that could be used in such a project, I think that such a kind of project is much to complicated to start with for you. It may be better to take small steps to such kind of an application.

But if you really want to start with it, you can always have a look in the sources of KDE which is build with Qt and they also have a something like gDesklets. Just have a look at Plasma (http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma).

Happy coding!

MIH1406
30th May 2010, 18:39
I will and I have not take personal!

You said:
"It may be better to take small steps to such kind of an application" I an looking for these steps what are they?

Thanks,
Mohammad