PDA

View Full Version : Installing on Solaris...PLEASE HELP!

Rayven
27th July 2006, 00:08
I am trying to install Qt4.1.4 on a Solaris 8 machine. When I un-tar the qt archive, many of the filenames are missing characters (i.e. signalsloteditor_plugin.cp) at the end of the file. I thought this was due to a filename length restriction of 256 characters when using tar, but the path + filename only equalled 119 characters. This happens on many files in the archive, one directory in particular is ./tools/designer/components/signalsloteditor. The messed up filenames are causing WARNINGs when running ./configure:
WARNING: failure to find: ../signalsloteditor/signalsloteditor_plugin.cpp

Also, some of the files are missing completely, such as q3mainwindow/q3mainwindow_container.h. However, there is a file in the root directory where I un-tar'ed the archive names "@LongLink".

I have tried redownloading qt from both a linux and windows machine, but no luck. I even downloaded the opensource version located on the QtCentre main page. Each different download does the same thing.

I have sucessfully installed Qt4 on Linux and Windows prior to this, and this is my first attempt at Solaris. I have never had any problems installing Qt on Linux. I am running:
Solaris 8 (also tried on Solaris 9)
Sun cc/CC 5.6 and 5.7 (Studio 9 and Studio 10)

Please help!

Brandybuck
27th July 2006, 00:52
Are you using GNU tar? You shouldn't have to, as tar files should follow the POSIX standard and not the GNU extensions. I seem to recall a bug on some project's ftp site related to that. If that doesn't work, you could always untar on your Linux or Windows machine, then zip it back up to move to your Solaris box.

Rayven
27th July 2006, 04:41
That was exactly the problem. I tried installing on another system, with GNU tar and everything worked as expected. Now I just have to get GNU tar on the other system!! Thanks!:D

Brandybuck
27th July 2006, 18:33
That was exactly the problem. I tried installing on another system, with GNU tar and everything worked as expected. Now I just have to get GNU tar on the other system!! Thanks!:D
There is already a bug logged on this with Trolltech. It's scheduled to be fixed in 4.2. In the meantime, you can get GNU tar at www.sunfreeware.com.