PDA

View Full Version : am I wierd?

stampecarlsson
1st August 2010, 19:45
I just wonder if its me that are wierd, or what.
Almost all applications I can see on the www that pople made with qt,are using the designer so they get the UI file. I just hate those files.

But thats me. Am I wierd?:P

tbscope
1st August 2010, 19:59
It's just preference.
I like using designer because it makes it easier to change the UI and see it right away.

squidge
1st August 2010, 21:23
I use the designer also. I don't see anything (mostly) when you open the ui in the designer as it's mostly layouts and subclassed widgets, but it still makes it easier for me to visualise things rather than typing code and hoping it works.

And it's weird, not wierd. Wierd is a programming language where you use a pattern of symbols resembling wires: http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?TheWierdLanguage

Zlatomir
1st August 2010, 21:25
Short answer: You are a lil' weird ;)

I like to code too, so most of the times i start with empty project and code everything (i'm coming from learning <standard> C++), but sometimes the designer is the fastest way.

From my little knowledge/experience i recommend not to exclude anything (any technology/language/framework/tool can be useful sometimes), if you like to code... go ahead and do it, but get familiar with the Designer too, you will develop a little "sense" that will tell you when to go by coding the GUI and when to do it with designer.

Talei
2nd August 2010, 00:11
I agree to, Designer is a great help.
Try to do simple task like changing color of the Ui elements with QStyles without Desiger. In that case I would need to recompile my code each time to see the changes, with designer I can see everything right away.
Said that I personally use Designer only to design my Ui elements, rest of the code is in the program, I mean here especially signals, etc...
That way I can redesigned my GUI fast (if that's needed), and that's most important to me, especially with my one core old CPU. This also helps to keep my GUI code separate from the app code.

franz
2nd August 2010, 05:54
You're probably only as weird as required to be a hard-core coder. I don't really enjoy using the designer either. I usually draw on paper what I want to have and then punch out some code that should do it. But we have another thread running about this somewhere.

stampecarlsson
2nd August 2010, 08:49
You're probably only as weird as required to be a hard-core coder. I don't really enjoy using the designer either. I usually draw on paper what I want to have and then punch out some code that should do it. But we have another thread running about this somewhere.

Ye:).

Thanks all:)