PDA

View Full Version : which ide/editor/database work best with qt4?

kkool84
20th August 2006, 09:38
hi, i'm using qt for my assignment, and i'd been reading all threads (almost all;) ) i still have no idea on how to use qt:crying:
i saw some using dev-c++, a lot of problems, heh?

so, which do u guys think is the best? i mean, easy integration, easy linking.....

i do have the latest dev-c++ and qt4.1.4...... uh-oh, i ain't use that dev-c++ for coding, too much trouble! what else do u guys recommend? i need a database, too (having sqlite 3, no idea how to use that).

so, i'm going to get a working qt, database, and ide/editor (work as one):p

please, tell me, how to achieve that?

Brandybuck
20th August 2006, 10:27
The standard reply is "use whatever tools you like best". Do you have an IDE you like? Then use it! I know people successfully using Qt with dev-c++, Eclipse, Visual Studio, KDevelop, XCode and plain old Emacs. Use what you like!

It's not our job to tell you what you should like!:D

But I would caution you NOT to get too attached to one tool. Use whatever tools you want, but also know how to survive without them. A competent programmer can survive with just a shell and text editor if necessary.

kkool84
20th August 2006, 13:44
cool!!! i like the way u answer my doubts:D

i have plenty of tools, dev-c++, borland c++ builder 5.5, visual c++... and i never found out which i prefer the most:p

but i think i'll use borland c++ 5.5 compiler and notepad++ editor, so, how to make these become good friends with QT4? i do hope that borland c++, qt, and sqlite3 can be very good couples:o

i'm now buckle up, u take the wheel, and show me the wondorous of the QT world;)

Brandybuck
20th August 2006, 20:44
but i think i'll use borland c++ 5.5 compiler and notepad++ editor, so, how to make these become good friends with QT4? i do hope that borland c++, qt, and sqlite3 can be very good couples:o

Get the new "C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4" book if you can. Otherwise the tutorials that come with Qt should be sufficient. Notepad++ is a good editor.

kkool84
21st August 2006, 03:44
why? there are modifications between qt3 and qt4?

i just change my mind, i will use notepad++ as my editor and i just compile it from command prompt, easiest way!

thanks for the help:D

now another problem arise:crying:

#include <QApplication>
#include <QPushButton>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
QApplication app(argc, argv);

QPushButton hello("Hello world!");
hello.resize(100, 30);

hello.show();
return app.exec();
}

when i make, the following message scared me:crying:

C:\Qt\4.1.4\hello>qmake -project

C:\Qt\4.1.4\hello>qmake

C:\Qt\4.1.4\hello>make
mingw32-make -f Makefile.Debug all
mingw32-make[1]: Entering directory `C:/Qt/4.1.4/hello'
g++ -mthreads -Wl,-enable-stdcall-fixup -Wl,-enable-auto-import -Wl,-enable-runt
ime-pseudo-reloc -Wl,-subsystem,windows -o "debug\hello.exe" tmp\obj\debug_share
d\helloworld.o -L"c:\Qt\4.1.4\lib" -L"c:\Qt\4.1.4\lib" -lmingw32 -lqtmaind -lQt
Guid4 -lQtCored4
C:\MinGW\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2\..\..\..\..\ mingw32\bin\ld.exe: cannot fin
d -lqtmaind
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
mingw32-make[1]: *** [debug\hello.exe] Error 1
mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Qt/4.1.4/hello'
mingw32-make: *** [debug-all] Error 2

Brandybuck
21st August 2006, 03:58
Do you have the Qt debug libraries built? It looks like you don't.

kkool84
21st August 2006, 04:20
i did, but after half an hour, the build debug libraries still stuck at the same place, i guessed it is done, so, i close the prompt:confused:

run again now, hope it finish soon:crying:

oh, man, qt is load more fun than i thought;)

kkool84
22nd August 2006, 04:28
i have mingw 5.0.3 install in my notebook by the default path, when i install qt, it tolds me that it cannot find "w32api.h" in my mingw, what is wrong with that?

i ignore the message and install it anyway, then i begin to build debug libraries, it stuck at qtmd5.cpp, after half an hour, it is still at the same place, and what the hxxx is wrong with that?:crying:

Brandybuck
22nd August 2006, 08:50
i have mingw 5.0.3 install in my notebook by the default path, when i install qt, it tolds me that it cannot find "w32api.h" in my mingw, what is wrong with that?
That file contains the Win32 API. You need it. It is supposed to come with MinGW. Did you install MinGW before you installed Qt? Qt specifically looks for this file when it is installed.

i ignore the message and install it anyway, then i begin to build debug libraries, it stuck at qtmd5.cpp, after half an hour, it is still at the same place, and what the hxxx is wrong with that?:crying:
This is very strange. I haven't seen an error like that in years. I think you may have a bad installation of MinGW. Try installing it again. If it still doesn't work, I would consider posting detailed information on the problem to qt-interest mailing list.

kkool84
22nd August 2006, 09:53
That file contains the Win32 API. You need it. It is supposed to come with MinGW. Did you install MinGW before you installed Qt? Qt specifically looks for this file when it is installed.

This is very strange. I haven't seen an error like that in years. I think you may have a bad installation of MinGW. Try installing it again. If it still doesn't work, I would consider posting detailed information on the problem to qt-interest mailing list.

i had mingw installed before i proceed to qt!!!!! and i stuck again ORZ

i uninstalled qt, mingw, and install again, qt by using qt's downloaded mingw, everything seems perfect:D

but, u know, i stuck when i build debug libraries, for half an hour, nothing happen:mad:

jacek
22nd August 2006, 13:03
i stuck when i build debug libraries, for half an hour, nothing happen
Really nothing? Is your CPU idle? Qt compilation can take even few hours.

kkool84
22nd August 2006, 13:32
Really nothing? Is your CPU idle? Qt compilation can take even few hours.

uh-oh, not a damn thing after 1hour:eek:
i try to install on my another centrino notebook, works fine, too fine.
when i work on this centrino duo, not working. i installed and uninstalled and again and again and again...........and again. it just stuck in the build debug libraries.:mad:

jacek
22nd August 2006, 14:26
it just stuck in the build debug libraries.
Maybe you don't have enough free space on your hard drive? How much RAM do you have?

Brandybuck
23rd August 2006, 01:09
If it's the same processor and OS on the other notebook, you could just copy over the libraries.

kkool84
23rd August 2006, 10:05
i'm having 100gb sata, and 512 ram, sure it is good enough.

i have two notebooks, one with centrino and xp home, another one with centrino duo and xp home, which folder to copy?

sector
23rd August 2006, 15:50
If you want to copy your compiled Qt4 to another machine, you can but you MUST place it to exact the same folder (C:\qt\ -> C:\qt, moving to D:\qt and adjust variables will not work).

http://lists.trolltech.com/qt-interest/2006-03/thread01777-0.html

kkool84
24th August 2006, 03:59
If you want to copy your compiled Qt4 to another machine, you can but you MUST place it to exact the same folder (C:\qt\ -> C:\qt, moving to D:\qt and adjust variables will not work).

http://lists.trolltech.com/qt-interest/2006-03/thread01777-0.html

yeah, thanks for the help:)
problems solved!!!

kkool84
24th August 2006, 07:45
hmmm:confused:

a friend of mine facing the same problem also, stuck when building debug libraries.
do u guys knows what causing this?
can i feedback to trolltech?

he is using centrino duo also, with xp pro.