PDA

View Full Version : How to release my project

Malek
29th August 2010, 23:47
Hi..

As simple as the title.I want to know How to release my project?
To produce exe file that is executable on any linux machine.

SixDegrees
30th August 2010, 01:22
Mostly, Qt applications are dynamically linked. So you have to ship the Qt libraries your application requires along with it, and make some provision for directing your application to their location.

Under Linux, I usually write a small wrapper script that sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the location of the dynamic libraries. Or, you can dump everything into a single directory and hope that there won't be any conflicts between the libraries you ship and whatever may already be installed on your client's system.

Determining which libraries to include can be tricky. Running 'ldd' on the executable will show a list of all runtime dependencies, but a lot of these will be system libraries that are expected to be available on any Linux system, so shipping them is pointless. Anything with a 'Q' in it's name is probably a good candidate for inclusion.

Testing is required. Try to find a system that doesn't have Qt installed, and see if your application will run on it. Or remove all traces of Qt from your own system before testing, then reinstall it when satisfied.

This sort of problem arises frequently enough that the need for a utility to to manage it automatically is a gap crying out to be filled.

wysota
30th August 2010, 09:12
Hi..

As simple as the title.I want to know How to release my project?
To produce exe file that is executable on any linux machine.

Read about LSB (Linux Standard Base). Qt supports LSB-compliant compilation and most modern Linux distros are also LSB compliant.

Malek
31st August 2010, 13:00
thanks for your replies,

SixDegrees can you give me a tutorial on writing such a script, I'd really appreciate it..