PDA

View Full Version : Generic way to talk to a still camera

scarleton
1st September 2010, 21:10
As I have stated in the past, I am working on an application that gets images from a still camera and does stuff with the images. Currently I am using the camera manufacture's SDK to communicate with the camera. The SDK is only Windows and Mac, there is no Linux version. It does appear that the SDK is just a wrapper on top of the PIMA 15740 Standard (http://www.broomscloset.com/closet/photo/exif/).

Does anyone know of any Qt based efforts to implement this standard so I can make my application truly cross platform?

Sam

squidge
1st September 2010, 22:09
Most digital still cameras have an option of selecting between PTP or MS. If you choose the later, the camera will simply appear as a mass-storage device and so will be truly corss-platform without the need for any drivers.

scarleton
3rd September 2010, 00:36
Well, the problem with the mass-storage mode is that when the camera is attached to the computer, you cannot take pictures with the camera, it simply appears as a hard drive. You have to be in PTP mode to capture images and immediately transfer them to the computer. My application requires PTP mode.