PDA

View Full Version : Starting with QML

MTK358
30th September 2010, 20:05
I started reading some of the QML tutorials, and it seems pretty interesting. There is just one big stumbling block for me that isn't explained in the tutorials: What does QML actually mean? What actually are those "Rectangle", "mouseArea", etc. elements?

Also, slightly unrelated, but what's the purpose of QML? To me it seems like first you have to reinvent all the widgets and then still have them not fit in with the platform look and feel. Basically, what is QML's place compared to "normal" Qt GUI widgets? It it for special purposes only, or does it work with Qt/C++?

MTK358
2nd October 2010, 01:48
Anyone?
10 char limit

wysota
2nd October 2010, 08:54
What does QML actually mean?
Qt Modeling Language? Just a guess...

What actually are those "Rectangle", "mouseArea", etc. elements?
They are objects.

Also, slightly unrelated, but what's the purpose of QML?
To provide a declarative language of doing fancy things that can be exploited by designers and not only programmers. It's also sometimes being referred to as "flash-killer". Although prematurely, in my opinion.

To me it seems like first you have to reinvent all the widgets and then still have them not fit in with the platform look and feel.
If you are after widgets and platform look and feel then QtQuick is probably not for you.

Basically, what is QML's place compared to "normal" Qt GUI widgets?
It's a parallel technology.

It it for special purposes only, or does it work with Qt/C++?
It can cooperate with C++. You can consider it a similar relationship as between Qt/C++ and QtScript. Just don't extend this comparison to the area of functionality, QtQuick and QtScript have a totally different area of use (though they both use JavaScript).

MTK358
2nd October 2010, 14:00
I'm kind of getting it now. I'm just not completely sure what QML syntax semantically means.

And I see where it could be useful as a custom part of a normal GUI application. Apart from that, I really wonder what's the use of a non-standard looking GUI (maybe it's just my bad memories of Widnows Media Center. I couldn't force to just plain watch TV without IR controllers, TV guides, etc.!!! :mad:).

wysota
3rd October 2010, 12:37
Apart from that, I really wonder what's the use of a non-standard looking GUI
One thing that immediately comes to my mind is games. Apart from that it's probably most useful for embedded and mobile systems where you have a custom look most of the times anyway.

MTK358
3rd October 2010, 13:36
One thing that immediately comes to my mind is games.
Haven't thought of that before. The Same Game example is quite amazing!

Apart from that it's probably most useful for embedded and mobile systems where you have a custom look most of the times anyway.
I don't have any mobile devices so I didn't know about that.