PDA

View Full Version : Qt Jambi pre-released. Does it allow to make embedded java applets ?

nouknouk
1st September 2006, 02:12
Hi everybody,

I received yesterday a mail from Trolltech about the pre-release of Qt jambi, the "java framework of Qt".

I tried their "web stat demo (http://www.trolltech.com/developer/download/qtjambi.jnlp)" and read the whitepaper and the FAQ, but I still have got a question without any answer :

Does Qt Jambi allow to develop java applets aimed to be embedded in a web page ?
In other words, is it possible to develop a java applet with Qt jambi that can be embedded in a web page and being automatically downloaded and launched when any client browse it (admitted it has got a JRE 1.5), like any other java applet (and well signed in order to have a full acces to the client's filesystem and sockets)

One concrete example would be to develop a little applet (emmbeded in a page of my personal website) just containing a 'browse' button allowing the visitor to select one of its local files and to upload it on my personal FTP server.

Many thanks in advance.

wysota
1st September 2006, 09:58
Does Qt Jambi allow to develop java applets aimed to be embedded in a web page ?
Yes, it's mentioned in the announcement.

nouknouk
1st September 2006, 14:56
Yes, it's mentioned in the announcement.

Not really : the mail I received mention :

- Web Start functionality, enabling installation and launch of Qt Jambi from within any web browser.

This sentence deals with embedding the installation and the launch, not the excution. That's why I decided to add a concrete example in my post, in order to precisely explain my needs: i want something whose display is embedded in the web page, not in a separate window.

Look at the Qt jambi web start demo (http://www.trolltech.com/developer/download/qtjambi.jnlp), you'll be able to launch an application that displays itself in a completely separate window.
Moreover, once launched and displayed, close your web browser : the application is still running. That's not the behavior of an applet.

Does anybody has more information ?

wysota
1st September 2006, 19:49
That's why I decided to add a concrete example in my post, in order to precisely explain my needs: i want something whose display is embedded in the web page, not in a separate window.

Ah, ok... I missed that one.

Mr_Blonde
15th September 2006, 12:00
I am not sure about it. In case it works you would definitly require the Qt Jambi libs installed on the client (browser) side. Same with the JRE.

That means, everyone who wants to upload files to your FTP through your Jambi applet would have to install the libs first.