PDA

View Full Version : Phonon Windows TotalTime glitch

skepticalgeek
12th October 2010, 17:13
I am doing a cross platform music jukebox app. While playing a music file, I display the current running time, and the total running time of the track in this format:
mm:ss [mm:ss]
This is updated every second using the media object's tick signal. I use the TotalTime() function of the media aobject to get the running time of the music track. In Linux, this works fine, but in Windows this returns the wrong amount. This is OS independent, as it happens on the XP development machine, as well as the Win7 deployment machine. There doesn't seem to be any particular pattern to how much it is wrong by, but it is always wrong, and it is always much greater than the actual running time of the track. I did a Google search on this but came up empty. This isn't exactly a show stopper, but it is an annoyance. Sound familiar?

Timoteo
12th October 2010, 17:47
Yes, I've seen this many times and it appears to be from tracks encoded with a variable bitrate. If any given implementation uses the bitrate to extrapolate the total running time, and does not account for VBR, then this is bound to happen. In other words, looks like a codec problem to me.

skepticalgeek
13th October 2010, 22:17
Sounds about right. I ripped all my CDs using Exact Audio Copy on VBR settings. Any workarounds?