PDA

View Full Version : [Help] Error while Compiling

Lapje
20th October 2010, 21:19
Hello there,

I am new to Qt and this forum, as you may notice.
I couldn't find any threads where this was being discused and since im a noob at this i thought, Lets post it here! o_O

Always when i try to compile i get this error:

Could not find make command: make in the build environment
Error while building project TextFinder (target: Desktop)
When executing build step 'Make'

I also get this screen before opening my project and thought it might have to do with the error:http://forum.ragezone.com/attachments/f144/81658d1287268945-c-qt-simple-textfinder-help.jpg

I did try to compile an empty project, to test if the error occured everytime. It did.
Btw, i used a TUT. So I guess the code i put it is right.

Thanks for your efforts

marcvanriet
20th October 2010, 21:24
Hi,

Unfortunately we cannot help if you don't say what version of Qt you are using, what compiler, and what operating system.

Either way, I would strongly advise you to use QtCreator and one of the prebuild packages available on the Qt website. This will help you a lot.

Best regards,
Marc

Lapje
20th October 2010, 21:31
Hi,

Unfortunately we cannot help if you don't say what version of Qt you are using, what compiler, and what operating system.

Either way, I would strongly advise you to use QtCreator and one of the prebuild packages available on the Qt website. This will help you a lot.

Best regards,
Marc

I'm sorry. I use QtCreator 2.0.1 and the build in compiler (it is a compiler right? o_O. The green "play-like" button. I run on Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit.
What are the prebuild packages for?

Thanks for your fast reply =].

tbscope
21st October 2010, 05:38
The green play button starts the program, it doesn't do any building unless the program source is changed.

Qt Creator does not have a built in compiler. It makes use of the compilers installed on your system. In the project settings, you can choose which one you want to use.

The problem you're facing is that the build tool "make" is not found. Note that "make" is also not a compiler.
Most operating systems have standard directories where they look for programs and files. If you do not install your program in one of those standard directories, you need to tell the operating system where to find your program. This is done by adding the directory of your program to the PATH environment variable.

Now, if you download and install the Qt SDK package, all the setup work is done for you.

amazingkartik
3rd January 2011, 16:08
even i got the same error, i'm using windows 7 and Qt Creator 2.0.1
Based on Qt 4.7.0 (32 bit), pls reply as soon as possible ...i'm pretty to excited to work on it..

nroberts
3rd January 2011, 17:34
I'm sorry. I use QtCreator 2.0.1 and the build in compiler (it is a compiler right? o_O. The green "play-like" button. I run on Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit.
What are the prebuild packages for?

Thanks for your fast reply =].

Try downloading and installing "mingw" (you might also want msys, after mingw, but I don't think it's required) and then try downloading and installing the Qt SDK instead of just creator. You might have better results.

marcvanriet
4th January 2011, 21:14
Hi,

AFAIK Mingw is installed automatically when you install the SDK. There is a checkbox in the setup program to turn this on or off. I didn't install msys, so I guess it's not required.

Regards,
Marc

nroberts
4th January 2011, 22:56
Hi,

AFAIK Mingw is installed automatically when you install the SDK. There is a checkbox in the setup program to turn this on or off. I didn't install msys, so I guess it's not required.

Regards,
Marc

MSys wouldn't be required. It's just some shell utilities on top of bash made for windows.

ChrisW67
4th January 2011, 23:10
There are two options:

The Qt SDK download for Windows installs Qt Creator, Qt sources/libraries, the MingW GCC compiler and enough of the other utilities (e.g. make) to give a working out-of-the-box system.
The Qt Creator binary download gives you just Qt Creator which, as others have said, relies on copies of Qt, working compilers and other tools already on your system. Windows systems do not have any of these other components by default.

The preferred option for a quick start is option 1. It looks as if you have gone for option 2.