PDA

View Full Version : Overview of all Elements and a good introduction pdf?

gast23
26th October 2010, 11:46
Hi there,

where can i find a good overview over all qml elements (widgets)?

Has QML a tabbar?

--

where is a good introduction pdf?

wysota
26th October 2010, 11:49
Qt Quick
Qt Declarative Elements

gast23
26th October 2010, 12:22
Thank you.

I can'T find a tabbar! Why???

wysota
26th October 2010, 12:36
Because it's not there??? You can implement a tab bar using a state machine in a couple lines of code.

Added after 14 minutes:

Here is something you might find interesting: UI Components: Tab Widget Example

gast23
26th October 2010, 13:13
Is QML ready for creating real world applications?
What do you think?

wysota
26th October 2010, 13:57
Is QML ready for creating real world applications?
What do you think?

Did you run any examples or demos that come with it? Do you consider them "real world applications"?

gast23
26th October 2010, 14:15
The demos are small apps, not applications...

I thought at something like SAP ERP, real business applications.

Is QML ready for this? Is it possible to create a entire business application with databinding?

How do you use QML? Whats the way to use QML?

wysota
26th October 2010, 14:20
I doubt anyone would want to implement SAP with QML :) Not that it is impossible (with a help of a bit of C++ of course).

Is QML ready for this? Is it possible to create a entire business application with databinding?
Would you implement an application like that in assembly? Does this mean assembly is not a useful language for "real applications"?

How do you use QML? Whats the way to use QML?
Well... you start by learning what it is and what it is used for. And what it is not - for instance it is not a replacement for C++.

gast23
26th October 2010, 14:30
How is QML used?

Would it possible to create a prototyp of a business application?

If you ask me this question about WPF and XAML i would say, yeah no problem...

I'm not sure what i should think about QML and Qt... There are Widgets, QML Elements and QGraphicsView...

wysota
26th October 2010, 14:36
And you really expect me to answer this in one short post? If you want a short answer then here you go:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/56/Answer_to_Life.png/150px-Answer_to_Life.png

gast23
26th October 2010, 15:25
thanks i expected a better answer from a nokia certified developer...

wysota
26th October 2010, 15:38
thanks i expected a better answer from a nokia certified developer...
Too bad, I am a developer, not a marketing guy. If you want marketing, ask someone who is a "Nokia certified Qt marketer". I can only point you to documentation (which I did). Whether you read it or not, this is solely your own decision. If instead of reading you are starting to make assumptions, don't expect me to treat you seriously, I'm not going to do the research for you. You didn't even bother to read the first sentence of the document I gave you.

tbscope
26th October 2010, 15:39
QML is designed for mobile and embedded devices.
Although, it can be used for desktop applications too.

The purpose of QML is not to write complete applications. It's more meant as a common interface between the developer and the designer.

gast23
26th October 2010, 15:43
I'm a developer too and i'm very interested...

i just would like to know what your (or others) experience with qml is...

Unfortunately i don't have the time todo research...

Maybe some other developers can talk a little bit more about QML and their experience with it...

wysota
26th October 2010, 16:05
Even if someone writes something about it you will have to read it, so why don't you read the description on QML instead? One way or the other if you want to gain such information you will have to devote some time of yours.

gast23
26th October 2010, 16:11
And you really expect me to answer this in one short post? If you want a short answer then here you go:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/56/Answer_to_Life.png/150px-Answer_to_Life.png

Please give me the big aswer :) What do you think?

wysota
26th October 2010, 16:28
Why should I devote my time writing my thoughts if you don't want to devote yours to read them?

gast23
26th October 2010, 16:30
Did i say that?

wysota
26th October 2010, 16:53
Did i say that?

You didn't read one sentence from the document I gave you, devoting my time to answer your question.

gast23
26th October 2010, 17:03
Fool... i read about QML and wuhu i tried und wrote some code...

Sorry i dont understand why its so hard to tell me your opinion about QML....

Please stop aswering to this thread. Thanks.

wysota
26th October 2010, 17:24
Fool... i read about QML and wuhu i tried und wrote some code...
And then you say this:

I don't know who are you trying to fool but apparently it's not working. If you had read the first sentence of the first document I gave you then you would have never said anything like that.

Sorry i dont understand why its so hard to tell me your opinion about QML....
How do you expect to understand it without background knowledge on the technology? Besides, QML is only the syntax, not the semantics.

gast23
26th October 2010, 17:30
I'm sure QML or should i say Quick has no new patterns or concepts to me... therefore i could understand you...

Its possible to explain features, likes, hates and constrains without very deep details...

Lykurg
26th October 2010, 17:30
Anyone is allowed to answer here!

And beside, if you wonder why no other is responding: I guess most think in a same way as wysota does. What answer do you expect? If you ask in a more specific way, you would get more answers. Nobody is willing to answer such a wide question where you have to rewrite the documentation.

Timoteo
26th October 2010, 17:31
What about your opinion? What do YOU think of it, gast23? Funny how that works, eh? Myself, I've no opinion on it because I've not researched QML at all. I do know that I would exhaust my own research resources (and with google they are virtually endless) and form my OWN opinion before I asked someone to basically tell me what I should think of it. Just something to ponder.

Lykurg
26th October 2010, 17:32
Its possible to explain features, likes, hates and constrains without very deep details...
Easy development of shining UI.
Better way to collaborate with designers

That's all.

gast23
26th October 2010, 17:50
How do you use QML?

How could 'Easy development of shining UI' possible without a large set of read to use elements?

'Better way to collaborate with designer' i saw the quick designer... this tool is very limited... the success of declarative languages stands and falls with their tools and toolsupport... the success of xaml is based on blend...

tbscope
26th October 2010, 17:56
How do you use QML?

Here's an example:
http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2010/10/19/exporting-qml-from-photoshop-and-gimp/

gast23
26th October 2010, 18:01
Thanks for this good link! Quick designer needs a photoshop shape import function... ;)

wysota
26th October 2010, 18:07
How do you use QML?
I have no idea what you mean with this question.

How could 'Easy development of shining UI' possible without a large set of read to use elements?
If you mean QtDeclarative/QtQuick then it's based on primitives and image manipulation. That's enough for most cases of a basic mobile-device ui. If you want something more complicated you can use anything Qt offers, you just have to be aware of all the drawbacks of QtQuick being implemented on top of graphics view. It's not possible to say more without going into details, so I'll end here.

'Better way to collaborate with designer' i saw the quick designer... this tool is very limited...
It's still under development. And you should know that but of course such knowledge requires earlier research which you can't do right now because you are a busy man unlike any of us. Even though I don't think you understood what "collaboration with designer" means - it's not about the Qt Designer tool but a person doing graphics and stuff like that. It separates... no... that's too much into details, let's skip that for now.

Oh, one more thing - according to me it's a misunderstanding to use the terms "Qt Quick" and "QML" as synonims. QML is a language, QtQuick is a technology composed of QML and QtDeclarative. So if you talk about "ready to use components" then you talk about QtDeclarative which has nothing to do with the QML language.

gast23
26th October 2010, 18:17
"Qt Designer tool but a person doing graphics and stuff like that. It separates... no... that's too much into details, let's skip that for now." really? Maybe you should read something about collaboration models http://windowsclient.net/wpf/white-papers/thenewiteration.aspx

All ui designers i know work with highlevel tools such as blend..

the success of declarative languages stands and falls with their tools and toolsupport...

wysota
26th October 2010, 19:08
"Qt Designer tool but a person doing graphics and stuff like that. It separates... no... that's too much into details, let's skip that for now." really? Maybe you should read something about collaboration models http://windowsclient.net/wpf/white-papers/thenewiteration.aspx

All ui designers i know work with highlevel tools such as blend..
I think you still fail to understand me. You keep repeating your thesis about tools yet fail to understand what QtQuick is about. If you feel so good with xaml then stick with it. I'm sure it could serve as a carrier for Qt Declarative too. After all it's just a language.

And speaking of tools, you have been given a nice link showing that you can use tools such as gimp or photoshop for ui modelling.