PDA

View Full Version : What type of tooltip is this? And how can i do it?

Bong.Da.City
4th November 2010, 22:50
If you set a tooltip on something ( for example a trayicon ) it will look like this:

But if you go on Ubuntu at the clock ( and every tooltip on ubuntu general) that will be shown:

So is this a different type of a tooltip or something?

P.s
I am setting the tooltip with this:

ui->Button->setToolTip("Start Operation");

wysota
5th November 2010, 00:56
Tray icons are treated specially in Unix systems as they are a bit "fake" so I can understand the tooltip for them may look different from other tooltips. But there is nothing you can do about it.

Bong.Da.City
5th November 2010, 06:23
I don't think so... Even if you leave the pointer on a program ( like Calculator on Ubuntu ) it will still be transperant and all that... There must be something... :/

Bong.Da.City
5th November 2010, 07:41
It is not a tooltip. What you showed on the picture is Notify OSD, which is developed by Ubuntu's team: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotifyOSD.

It isn't NotifyOSD.. What i am saying is when you point somewhere ( for example an button ) a tip will be shown... NotifyOSD is just an Notify...

wysota
5th November 2010, 08:41
So what's exactly the problem? Could you explain it with words instead of saying that two pictures differ?

Bong.Da.City
5th November 2010, 09:35
ok...

How to set a tip to to be like the ubuntu tips look like ... ?( see screenshots )

wysota
5th November 2010, 09:51
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Bong.Da.City
5th November 2010, 17:10
haven't you understand what i am asking? is so simple.. you are the one you must know how to answer.. again you do not answer my question..

Do you want to ask you again..? ok if you can't catch it...

So how to set the tips ( fro example of a button) exactly like the ubuntu one?

I know that you know what i am asking... and because you do not know the answer you pretend that i am not asking questions with the right way and you give me a link . here it might help:
http://tonguc.wordpress.com/2006/12/27/how-to-answer-questions-the-smart-way/

squidge
5th November 2010, 20:31
If we didn't know the answer, we just wouldn't reply.

But we have replied, and given you the answer.

The screen shot you have shown of Ubuntu is not a tool tip.

Let me rephrase that in case you mis-understood: The second picture you have posted is not a tool tip.

wysota
5th November 2010, 20:31
I don't know what you are asking for. I don't know what you are getting now and what you want to get instead and why using QWidget::setToolTip() doesn't work the way you would want it to work. I don't know what "exactly like ubuntu one" means because the looks of a tooltip depends on the style you are using and possibly the desktop manager you are using. I'm tired of extracting information from people who think saying "I'm getting something else than I'd like to be getting" is a deep description of their problem and when they are asked for more information they keep repeating what they had already said.