PDA

View Full Version : Qt and Visual Studio 2010

SixDegrees
5th November 2010, 20:53
I don't do any programming on Windows, but I'm considering it. From comments here, it seems there is a problem integrating Qt into Visual Studio 2010. Is this true? Is there a solution, or are they incompatible at the moment?

If I decide to go the Creator route, what will I need other than the Creator download? Or is the Creator package self-contained?

Zlatomir
5th November 2010, 22:07
The Windows version of Qt SDK has everything (including MingW compiler, make, etc), you don't need to download anything.
Only for running applications you will need to copy the dll's to the same folder as .exe file, or add to the Path in Environment Variables.

As for Visual Studio integration you can download the already build with VS 2008 version of Qt (i used that with VS 2010) and the VS add-in, and it works.
DISCLAIMER: i didn't use qt with VS very much, only for some small tests.
And the code from this topic (http://www.qtcentre.org/threads/35734-QT-Console-application-QTextStream) doesn't work (run-time error) with VS 2010 and works with VS 2008. (i'm now building Qt with VS 2010 to see if this is somehow caused by the fact that Qt is built with a different version of VS)

SixDegrees
5th November 2010, 23:03
OK, thanks. For now, I think I'll just go the Creator route. We don't anticipate using Windows much, but it's nice to have an avenue for porting.

Zlatomir
6th November 2010, 00:12
That's a wise decision, Windows version of Qt SDK goes out of the box

But i didn't had any issues with Qt integrated in VS (i built it with VS 2010)

Joris
15th November 2010, 16:52
Can anyone help me with installing Qt on visual studio 2010...? :confused:
I've downloaded and installed the "Qt libraries 4.7.1 for Windows (VS 2008, 228 MB)". Now what? I also tried the VS plug-in but then I got an error (it's searching for the msvcr90.dll because qt is now configured to work with vs2008...)

Thank you :)

Timoteo
15th November 2010, 18:41
You should rebuild Qt with Visual Studio 2010.

Another option (that, for some reason, noone seems to mention) is using Qt Creator + WinSDK. That gives you access to nmake/cl/ml/link etc without having to install the IDE.

battersea
15th November 2010, 19:56
I downloaded the open source version (http://get.qt.nokia.com/qt/source/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.1.zip), and built everything from scratch using Visual Studio 2010, without any issues...

Just run "configure.exe" (with the desired config switches) in a "Visual studio command prompt (2010)", followed by "nmake".

I have been using this setup for a few weeks and have not come across any issues.