PDA

View Full Version : QSqlQuery bindValue and SELECT WHERE IN

helloworld
6th November 2010, 10:06
Hi!

Is it possible to use bindValue with a SELECT statement like:

SELECT * FROM stuff WHERE id IN (1, 2, 3, 4)

I have tried several options, including using a QList<QVariant> with:

SELECT * FROM stuff WHERE id IN (:ids)

but no luck :(

Thanks!

wysota
6th November 2010, 12:37
No, I don't think so.

nephre
6th November 2010, 13:12
Perhaps You could try using unnamed parameters. In my code I use something like this:

Query q("SELECT * FROM tag WHERE tag = ?", connection);
q << name;

which uses following piece of code:

Query &Query::operator <<(QVariant &param)
{
queryObject.bindValue(_paramBound++, param);

return *this;
}

I know this solution is not perfect and has some flaws, but for sure it can be used this way to pass QLists as list of values to bind query parameters.

wysota
6th November 2010, 15:32
That's not the point here. The point is that you want to be able to bind a list of ids separated by commas to a single placeholder. With your solution you'd still need to know how many items the list has to count placeholders that need to be put in the query.

nephre
6th November 2010, 15:42
Of course, I'm aware of that, it's not a clean solution. Someone could play with parsing SQL query and replacing single unnamed parameter with QList::count() parameters, then binding them all. Question is: is it worth? Because for me, it's dirty for sure.

Since I don't have much experience with Qt/C++ and SQL programming, so far I never needed to use queries with variable abount of parameters. Maybe some ORM framework would fit here, but I don't know how ORM offer looks in C++ world.

wysota
6th November 2010, 15:45
A solution to this concrete problem would probably be to use a subquery returning the list. Something like:
SELECT * FROM stuff WHERE id IN (SELECT stuff_id FROM foreigntable WHERE value < :value)