PDA

View Full Version : Help file formats

nroberts
11th November 2010, 18:40
We're seriously considering the dropping of WX as our toolkit and moving to Qt. One area I can't seem to find much on is the help files. We are currently using .chm for our format. Can we still use this with Qt?

We have a lot of investment in tools to develop windows help file formats. Is there any standard windows help format that is compatible with Qt help format? If not, are there good tools for making Qt help files?

Thanks.

ChrisW67
11th November 2010, 23:55
We're seriously considering the dropping of WX as our toolkit and moving to Qt. One area I can't seem to find much on is the help files. We are currently using .chm for our format. Can we still use this with Qt?

Yes, using the same Windows API code you currently use to launch the help file. You may have to put some effort in to doing things like "What's this?" type help.

We have a lot of investment in tools to develop windows help file formats. Is there any standard windows help format that is compatible with Qt help format? If not, are there good tools for making Qt help files?
Windows help formats are not portable and therefore not used in Qt. Essentially if you can produce your help as HTML then the Qt Help system can make a help file of it. The process is fairly manual though. If you already have tools that you are comfortable using to produce CHM files then I'd stick with those rather than retrain authors. Shipping the components necessary to support the Qt help reader can also blow out your project size if you are not already using the web components (in particular).