PDA

View Full Version : Experience using KDevelop with Cygwin under windows

high_flyer
11th September 2006, 13:36
Hi All,

After searching for various IDE's that I can use both under Windows and Linux that support Qt projects, and not finding anything that fulfils this requirement, I thought to try KDevelop under Cygwin on Windows, which practically is having KDE on Windows.
The advantage is clear:
If this works, then I can code under windows and linux virtually on the same project, and the same IDE - perfect.

But I thought before I start the pain of installing this, to ask if any one here tried it already, and is willing to share experiences.

Thanks.

wysota
11th September 2006, 15:22
Maybe it is offtopic, but have you tried QIde? It looks promising. Making kdelibs run on Cygwin maybe very difficult, if possible (meaning comfortably usable) at all -- kde-cygwin project (http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/) might help you on this a bit. You'll surely have to start with compiling Qt3/Free for Windows.

high_flyer
11th September 2006, 15:40
Hi Wysota,

Yes I did try QIde some time ago, it was very bugy then, and I didn't like various features in it... (like long menu paths for often used menu choices, the need to manually "comment out" the header QIde added the pro file etc...)
Maybe it got better by now, I saw here that its developer was very active on responding to bugs here...
Maybe I'll try it again.
The link you posted for cygwin kde is known to me, and is what I had in mind to try.
As you said, this might be not trivial to install, which is why I started this thread, to see if I can benefit from others who did try it before.
Maybe its not worth the pain of installing it... and maybe it does...

Cheers.

wysota
11th September 2006, 17:19
the need to manually "comment out" the header QIde added the pro file etc...)
KDevelop adds such a header too. And readds it everytime you modify the project.

Maybe it got better by now, I saw here that its developer was very active on responding to bugs here...
Maybe I'll try it again.
I have compiled it today and it looks nice. Of course it's still buggy and quite limited, but already usable.

The link you posted for cygwin kde is known to me, and is what I had in mind to try.
As you said, this might be not trivial to install, which is why I started this thread, to see if I can benefit from others who did try it before.
It is probably not very hard to install but it doesn't mean it is convinient to use. It could be hard to compile complex applications without cygwin dependencies (not using custom makefiles, but built-in project managers).

Maybe its not worth the pain of installing it... and maybe it does...

Try it and then publish an article at QtCentre about it so that others can learn from your experience :)

high_flyer
11th September 2006, 17:50
KDevelop adds such a header too. And readds it everytime you modify the project.
Yes but KDevelop adds them as comments... ;)

I have compiled it today and it looks nice. Of course it's still buggy and quite limited, but already usable.

I just did the same (but on Linux).
It looks like many things have changed to the better.
All the things I wrote about in the previous post are gone.
If it will work the same under windows, then this very well may be a good option to work with, at least under windows.

So far I use Dev-C++ under windows, and allthough it works for me, I don't feel comfortbale with it (which is why I was looking for somthing else)

Try it and then publish an article at QtCentre about it so that others can learn from your experience
Its a deal! ;)