PDA

View Full Version : Googling Qt forum does not yeild Qt Centre

sunil.thaha
12th September 2006, 08:05
Hi,

When I started exploring Qt. the first thing I did was to give a google search on "Qt +forum" Which brought me to Qtforum.org ( first ranked )
And I think this is what most of the noobs do.

Even today the search will yeild only qtforum :-( ; which is not bad as long as the forum is maintained. Nothing needs to be said about its maintainance. :rolleyes:

QtCentre.org comes no where in the picture :-( . Can anything be done so that we can reach atleast the second position or better the first, in the search ??

I have talked to many developers and most of them even don't know about out forum.

I think it's high time we helped them. What do you think ?

high_flyer
12th September 2006, 11:01
And I think this is what most of the noobs do.

I agree with this assumption mainly because the number of new users at QtForum.org is much higher (and steady so) then in QtCentre.
But I am not sure much can be done except having as much as possible other sites to link to this one, which is a problem, since this site is administrated by people who care about Qt and not so much about having a site with much traffic (which is why it was spilt from QtForum.org), so they are not so busy (I would imagine) in "diplomacy" with other sites for links exchange etc...

On the other hand, QtCentre is much more qualitative with its context then QtForum, and that is mainly due to the members in it (all of you).
And newbies who are serious enough, will search beyond QtForum, and then they will find QtCenter.org, and they will stay.

So bottom line, better less and better, then lots and worse.

wysota
12th September 2006, 11:05
QtCentre.org comes no where in the picture :-( .
It is listed on 56th position when using Google in Poland.

Can anything be done so that we can reach atleast the second position or better the first, in the search ??
We've been trying very hard to improve the position in rankings, but it is not easy. We're very high in Yahoo rankings - it is listed on 10th place when searching for the term "Qt" and on the second place when searching for "Qt+forum". For some strange reason Google doesn't like us and we've been unable to get any information from Google about that. Is there anything that can be done? Yes, all people visiting can link to the site on their sites, signatures on other forums, can talk about it and quote it (with links) whenever and wherever appropriate. We have even made some buttons for you to include on your pages, but looks like they're not used -- that's your choice :) Maybe QtCentre is simply not good enough to be highly ranked by Google :crying:

sunil.thaha
12th September 2006, 11:24
Has anyone tried reporting to googe using Dissatisfied? Help us improve (http://www.google.com/quality_form?q=Qt+Forum&hl=en&lr=)

munna
12th September 2006, 12:46
At google.co.in, its in the second page.

sunil.thaha
12th September 2006, 13:27
No It's not
May be U did not search for Qt Forum
Or Google is fetching from your previous search history

mhoover
16th September 2006, 00:58
I don't think 'centre' has been spelled that way since like King Arthur times.

Maybe if this were 'Ye Chaucer Fan Centre' or a 'Contact Thy Guilde Centre'. Or maybe a 'Replace Faith With Sketchy Rituals Centre'. There could be some use for a 'Call Knight-1-1 Centre' you know if some vikings are poking around.

If there had been something like that, I'm sure all the yeomen and candlestickmakers would have lined up their tandy's and radioshack terminals to get in.

wysota
16th September 2006, 01:18
Just as I thought... you're from USA :)

"centre" is a british word and "center" is american and as we're in Europe here (all admins are from Europe, the server is in Europe, TT is in Europe (which makes Qt a european product), so it's closer to London than it is to Las Vegas, hence we're using the proper (british) spelling ;) It doesn't have anything to do with King Arthur (maybe apart from that he was closer to London than to Las Vegas as well).

BTW. http://www.qtcenter.org leads here too :)

jacek
16th September 2006, 01:19
I don't think that folks at BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/) have problems with spelling. ;)

More centres: http://www.google.pl/search?q=Centre+inurl:uk

mhoover
16th September 2006, 02:36
Just as I thought... you're from USA

Yep. Wish there weren't so many experts around here ;)

I don't think that folks at BBC have problems with spelling.

You got me. They're good spellers.

If King Arthur worked for the American media, we'd have good spelling too!