PDA

View Full Version : Qt Quick QML animation stressing CPU

petermcg
18th November 2010, 04:36
Hello,

I'm planning to use QML to implement an appealing UI for a project. The UI will be displayed on a range of display sizes including very large monitors/TVs. I put together a QML example that's driven by the data that I will be displaying (data comes in once a second from a serial device). Following is the QML...

import Qt 4.7

Rectangle {
width: 640
height: 480
color: "white"

Rectangle {
x: 0
width: 100
height: wattsCirc*(parent.height/wattScale)
//height: watts/6
radius: 15
anchors.bottom: parent.bottom
//anchors.horizontalCenter: parent.horizontalCenter
smooth: true
gradient: Gradient {
GradientStop { position: 0.0; color: "lightsteelblue" }
GradientStop { position: 1.0; color: "blue" }
}
Behavior on height { NumberAnimation { duration: 1000; easing.type: Easing.InOutBounce } }
}

Rectangle {
x: 100
width: 100
height: wattsCirc*(parent.height/wattScale)
//height: watts/6
radius: 15
anchors.bottom: parent.bottom
//anchors.horizontalCenter: parent.horizontalCenter
smooth: true
gradient: Gradient {
GradientStop { position: 0.0; color: "lightsteelblue" }
GradientStop { position: 1.0; color: "blue" }
}
Behavior on height { NumberAnimation { duration: 1000; easing.type: Easing.InOutBounce } }
}

// SAME RECTANGLE REPEATED ANOTHER FIVE TIMES

Text {
text: "rawCurrent"
y: 100
x: 100
}

Text {
id: id_current
text: rawCurrent
y: 100
x: 200
}

// FOUR MORE TEXT ENTRIES LIKE THE ONE ABOVE, EACH DISPLAYING A DIFFERENT PROPERTY VALUE
}

So there are six rectangles, all displaying the same information, all animated on height change (implementing bar charts). There are also five text items displaying values. The values that are bound to are exposed from C++ to the QML using setContextObject, and the class in question uses the Meta-Object System to expose the properties. All properties are changed once a second.

When I run this example, I see that my CPU usage steadily climbs from something acceptable (~12%) to something that I think is too high (40-50%). Why would that be? It seems like a high load, considering that QML is targeted to mobile devices with much less processing power than my i5. Eliminating the QML UI and just running the underlying logic keeps CPU usage steady at 8%.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated,

Peter

petermcg
29th November 2010, 06:45
Proper threading of the underlying logic fixed this.

goli
3rd April 2011, 12:30
hi,
I wanted to know if you found a way to solve the problem of CPU consumption, because i have the same problem...
tnx