PDA

View Full Version : QtNetwork Performance

ngenen
24th November 2010, 16:13
Hello there!
I'm new here and I'm wondering if anyone have experience with measuring qtnetwork performance. Let's say I'm writing a indie game server from scratch and I'll need support more than 5k simultaneous connections.

My questions are,
Would qtnetwork fit my needs or I should go for another library like boost::asio ?
Which design I should follow ? (Would be good code example)
Does anyone know how QtNetwork works for connection handling ? Is like boost::asio which uses the best model of each OS ?

Thanks in Advance!

tbscope
25th November 2010, 05:42
Would qtnetwork fit my needs or I should go for another library like boost::asio ?
As with 5000 connections, it's not what Qt or Boost can do. At this point you also and most certainly need to look at your operating system and hardware. Although I guess most modern systems can handle that much connections without too much problems.

Anyway, make a couple of tests and benchmarks. See which library gives you the best results and use that one.

Never, ever, use threads for that amount of connections, ever! You will DoS yourself!

Does anyone know how QtNetwork works for connection handling ? Is like boost::asio which uses the best model of each OS ?
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7/network-programming.html

Timoteo
25th November 2010, 06:46

This is totally beyond the scope of a single forum topic.

Here are some questions you need answered before you can proceed:

Which synchronization method will I employ to achieve shared game state? With which protocol?
Have I identified my server hardware architecture? What about operating system? Can I compete while using a cross-platform framework on this platform?
How do I handle growth? Is my design adaptable for clustering? What about load balancing?

What exactly do I need?

See why we can't really give you a meaningful answer to "will it fit my needs"? That's something only you can answer through research, modeling, and trial.

ngenen
25th November 2010, 07:10
I understand that, and I already readed the documentation, but my questions were in a deeper sense, like the internal design, so for example, in windows, the IOCP design uses one thread to accept incoming connections and n Worker Threads to read/write to clients and support 10k easily, so, my question in a simple way was, which method QtNetwork uses for the QTcpServer design ? select ? epoll ? kpoll ? IOCP ? that is what I meant to say with "OS dependent server design".

Thank you!!!

Added after 14 minutes:

This is totally beyond the scope of a single forum topic.

Here are some questions you need answered before you can proceed:

Which synchronization method will I employ to achieve shared game state? With which protocol?
Have I identified my server hardware architecture? What about operating system? Can I compete while using a cross-platform framework on this platform?
How do I handle growth? Is my design adaptable for clustering? What about load balancing?

What exactly do I need?

See why we can't really give you a meaningful answer to "will it fit my needs"? That's something only you can answer through research, modeling, and trial.

My question it's more about internal design, I have some knowledge about what you're saying, but I just wanted to know if anyone know how QTcpServer works internally, as far I see, it's event driven, so it could fit my needs, if the design is good. :) Thank you for your help!!

wysota
25th November 2010, 12:31
so, my question in a simple way was, which method QtNetwork uses for the QTcpServer design ? select ? epoll ? kpoll ? IOCP ?
1. It depends on the platform.
2. Qt is open-source, take the sources and check it out yourself.
3. Qt is open-source, you can adapt it to your needs.

ngenen
25th November 2010, 19:08
1. It depends on the platform.
2. Qt is open-source, take the sources and check it out yourself.
3. Qt is open-source, you can adapt it to your needs.

I did so, and I found that everything is based on select model supported by the event loop :)

Thank you!