PDA

View Full Version : Qt on Mac

scarleton
29th December 2010, 05:23
I am not new to Qt, but I am to the Mac. Will I need to purchase the $99 Apple developer membership to use Qt on the Mac or is there some way to do it without joining their little club?

pkohut
29th December 2010, 10:24
A free Apple Developer account can be created which allows you to download XCode. Install XCode then install the Qt SDK for the Mac.

You'll then have XCode 3.2.5 which installs with GCC and LLVM version 4.2. The Qt SDK for Mac on the main Qt Download page will install Qt 4.7.0. To upgrade to 4.7.1 go to http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/qt-for-open-source-cpp-development-on-mac-os-x/ and get the Cocoa binary package and debug libs (2 downloads) and install.

scarleton
29th December 2010, 12:05
I have registered for the free developers account. I go around and around and the ONLY things I see are ways to join one of the three programs which all cost 100USD. where does one find the links to download Xcode?

pkohut
29th December 2010, 12:52
If you're logged in to your Apple developer account (free/non free) this will get you there.
https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/mac/index.action

scarleton
29th December 2010, 15:42
Thank you. I did finally run into it a few minutes before you replied. I don't know if it was me or they simply make it difficult to find, but this will be interesting!

Anyone have any thoughts on how Mac development of Qt compares to Windows/Linux? Just curious.

pkohut
29th December 2010, 16:16
Anyone have any thoughts on how Mac development of Qt compares to Windows/Linux? Just curious.

YMWV. Using Qt Creator on my MBP's keyboard is missery, even after remapping some key binding in Creator. Using a full size keyboard eases the pain quite a bit but the experience is still bad (mostly because I'm use to having dual monitors). If you have lots of seat time in front of Visual Studio, then Qt Creator may seem barely usable in any enviornment. As much as I'd like to move away from Windows, I can't break free of Visual C++ (and in large part Visual Assist X).

scarleton
29th December 2010, 16:31
Yea, I have started using Qt Creator for the QML features, not bad, but it ain't no Visual Studio. On Windows I still do all the C++ in Visual Studio. It is going to be interesting.

As far as keyboards go, I bought a 3rd party because I wanted bluetooth and the keypad, but I got home last night and found out it was AAA, not AA. It goes back today, I was debating on if I should get the keypadless bluetooth or the wired one that has the keypad, sounds like you recommend the later. Correct?

Sam

pkohut
29th December 2010, 16:54
As far as keyboards go, I bought a 3rd party because I wanted bluetooth and the keypad, but I got home last night and found out it was AAA, not AA. It goes back today, I was debating on if I should get the keypadless bluetooth or the wired one that has the keypad, sounds like you recommend the later. Correct?

Sam

If you're talking an Apple keyboard, then full size for sure. I now use a Microsoft Bluetooth Elite keyboard/mouse combo, works great. Prior to that I used a Logitec MX Revolution keyboard/mouse combo which works excellent in Windows but has limitations in OS X. Before that full size Apple keyboard, blah.

For the most part I leave all the keyboard mappings set to the "Mac Way". Didn't take long to get use to it. However, I've been cross platform IDE hunting for a while and all of them have conflicting keyboard bindings with OS X, except of course XCode.