PDA

View Full Version : run dpkg -i on .deb install file from Windows?

franklovecchio
3rd January 2011, 18:15
Hi,

I have an installable app in the form of a .deb. I copied it over to the top-level directory of an N8 on which I installed the newest Qt and Qt Mobility. I have the Symbian command line open in Windows, but I can't run dpkg -i my_app.deb. I understand .deb is linux, but shouldn't I be able to use the Symbian command line prompt to do this? Please help :)

nroberts
3rd January 2011, 18:20
Hi,

I have an installable app in the form of a .deb. I copied it over to the top-level directory of an N8 on which I installed the newest Qt and Qt Mobility. I have the Symbian command line open in Windows, but I can't run dpkg -i my_app.deb. I understand .deb is linux, but shouldn't I be able to use the Symbian command line prompt to do this? Please help :)

Do you mean you have a telnet or ssh connection to your Symbian OS and can't run dpkg from it?

If so, could be a permission issue. You should include the error you're getting in your question.

franklovecchio
3rd January 2011, 18:39
No, that's probably why (it's just connected via USB). I assume I can just ssh/telnet in through Putty? I Googled for an IP/Login, but can't seem to find one.

nroberts
3rd January 2011, 19:09
No, that's probably why (it's just connected via USB). I assume I can just ssh/telnet in through Putty? I Googled for an IP/Login, but can't seem to find one.

OK. I don't know anything about this thing. Last time I used an embedded OS it was Qtopia on my Zaurus. I had to create a special kind of package just for it. It appears this may still be the case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbian#Deployment

At any rate, hopefully someone else can help you because I don't know. You still haven't shown an error message though. What is the output you get when you try?

franklovecchio
3rd January 2011, 19:24
Sorry, the error I was getting was "dpkg command not found" (which is why ssh'ing into the N8 makes sense). I actually have a signed app, but getting it deployed to the N8 is seeming kind of ridiculous!

nroberts
3rd January 2011, 19:31
Sorry, the error I was getting was "dpkg command not found" (which is why ssh'ing into the N8 makes sense). I actually have a signed app, but getting it deployed to the N8 is seeming kind of ridiculous!

A couple things could cause this on a normal Linux system: it really isn't there at all; or it isn't in your path. It's probably an 'sbin' program so you could start looking in there for it or a "find / -name dpkg -print" line should turn it up if it exists.