PDA

View Full Version : slow writing on flash disk

ir210
26th January 2006, 17:10
My system has problem on writing something on an USB drive (flash disk). It tooks quite a long time (like downloading big file from internet with slow connection) to write on but, it has no problem with reading.

I suspect it's KDE's problem since i experienced it after upgrading to kde 3.5. I use SUSE 10.0.

Oh, one more thing. My kate (and all apps that use it) crashs quite often. It also often reports that some programs have modified the file i'm currently editing. But, I'm sure that no other program is using it.

Anyone who knows what my problem is? Thanks before.

sorry for my bad english.

wysota
27th January 2006, 00:23
Does it operate on USB 2.0 or 1.1? I'm asking about the driver used not about what is the device capable of. Sometimes it happens that a 2.0 device attaches to a 1.1 hub, and operates much slower. BTW. What file system do you have on that flash disk?

ir210
27th January 2006, 09:55
Does it operate on USB 2.0 or 1.1? I'm asking about the driver used not about what is the device capable of. Sometimes it happens that a 2.0 device attaches to a 1.1 hub, and operates much slower. BTW. What file system do you have on that flash disk?

it operates on USB 2.0 and the filesystem is fat32 (as i formated it from windows). it never happened before. i mean, it was fast enough before i upgrade my KDE to version 3.5.

is there any conflicts? or something wrong with my SUSE? Actually, I also updated it before upgrading KDE.

thanks

Codepoet
27th January 2006, 10:50
I don't think it is something with KDE because it has nothing to do with the drivers. It's SUSE, maybe you got a newer kernel which does not support your device as good as the old on.

You can simply try if it is KDE or not: Go into runlevel 3 (console only) and try to copy some files on the shell.

ir210
28th January 2006, 17:11
maybe you'r right.
thanks, I'll try it next time I come home.

if it's true, any idea how to solve it? Must i downgrade my kernel? is there anything else i can do beside it?

Codepoet
28th January 2006, 18:26
Check whether your kernel was upgraded or not.

Another kernel would then probably help.
Try these: Your last kernel (should fix it), newest SUSE, newest standard kernel from kernel.org
Maybe even the mm series.

You could try a Knoppix or another live cd if it is slow...

ir210
30th January 2006, 04:39
Check whether your kernel was upgraded or not.

Another kernel would then probably help.
Try these: Your last kernel (should fix it), newest SUSE, newest standard kernel from kernel.org
Maybe even the mm series.

thanks,

I've downgraded my kernel to the previous one since I cannot update it just because i access the internet from internet cafe which have tooo slow connection.

well, no change. I know my previous kernel did its jobs well. It seems that the problem is not with kernel. I still cannot figure out what the problem is. I've also tracked all updated packages, but no one is involving with i/o mechanism. So, i just leaved them alone.

is there any suggestion?

Btw, how about my second question (about kate)?

thanks again.

high_flyer
30th January 2006, 10:36
Hi,

Just wanted to say I noticed the same behaviour on my system, also SUSE10.
ir210, if you solve the problem, please post it here, I ofcourse will do the same.

Codepoet
30th January 2006, 23:32
If it's not the kernel I have no good idea... Did you try a live cd?

Kate and app crashes: Should not happen. With Gentoo I would say recompile but here... No idea :(

high_flyer
31st January 2006, 01:17
Hi,
just wanted to say I got a lead.
It looks like there are changes in the kernel about the FATFS, somthing to do with accessing the FS with a sync , which makes it slow.
See here:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0507.3/1451.html
But its too late for me to read any more or try what they suggested there (changing the sync option in fstab).
But if someone can try it, or confirm it, before I get to try it tomorrw (err.. today) then please post!

Cheers.

ir210
3rd February 2006, 07:27
Hi,
just wanted to say I got a lead.
It looks like there are changes in the kernel about the FATFS, somthing to do with accessing the FS with a sync , which makes it slow.
See here:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0507.3/1451.html
But its too late for me to read any more or try what they suggested there (changing the sync option in fstab).
But if someone can try it, or confirm it, before I get to try it tomorrw (err.. today) then please post!

Cheers.

any success, high_flyer? I still can't make it normal.

high_flyer
3rd February 2006, 11:35
Didn't have time to test it yet (can you believe it??)
I am sooo busy its really crazy... got at 24:00 home last night, from work!!
I'll post as soon as I test it.
Did you try to take the the sync out of the mount command?
Dont forget to run sync before you take the USB stick out!

ir210
5th February 2006, 18:27
it's autodetected by hal. I donot know how to change hal configuration. I've tried to remount it with async option, but it still slow.

I have the same problem from console and gnome (you are, codepoet, right it's not kde's fault). It only happen to my suse not kubuntu 5.10 (which hasn't been updated yet).

wysota
5th February 2006, 20:46
could you show us the mount parameters frm that device?

high_flyer
6th February 2006, 02:46
Yes it works.
My original mount is:
mount -t subfs -o fs=floppyfss,sync,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,utf8=t rue
And the modified one:
mount -t subfs -o fs=floppyfss,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,utf8=true

Simply take 'sync' out of the line.
It works fast as it should this way.
Don't forget to run sync before you take out the memory stick, to make sure any buffered data is flushed.

jamme
13th February 2006, 16:40
I got it working fast by just changing the fs type to vfat :)
It helped, though i don't know whether should it help :)