PDA

View Full Version : Best Qt4 Books in 2011

Reliance
7th January 2011, 06:26
Hi. I'm new to Qt, but I'm a very experienced programmer. I'm looking for a book that will introduce me to Qt4. The existing docs are nice, but sometimes books are also needed.

There seem to be 2 front-runners, the books Lykurg recommended a year and a half ago:

Jasmin Blanchette and Mark Summerfield: C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4 (2nd Edition) (Prentice Hall Open Source Software Development Series)

Johan Thelin: Foundations of Qt® Development (Expert's Voice in Open Source)

By the way, I've noticed that among the e-book formats, the Kindle is not the best for technical books, as it's really designed for linear reading of novels and such. I like the ebook concept as I live in Asia and delivery charges (and delays) are a bear.

ChrisW67
7th January 2011, 07:27
I'll second the first one :)

Once you are past that level you can also try:
Mark Summerfield. Advanced Qt Programming, Creating Great Software with C++ and Qt 4. Prentice Hall.

Lykurg
7th January 2011, 07:52
My favorit is still the book of Johan.

If you are a good programmer and only need the book for a "brief" introduction (as while the normal work life you surley won't need more than the documentation and this forum here ;)), the first edition of C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4 is free for download. (Don't have the link right now, but you'll easily find it) It should be enough to guide you through the basic Qt techniques in a structured manner, so that after that you could easily start programmint with Qt and learn further while coding.

wysota
7th January 2011, 14:16
My favourite is Johan's book too also for reasons anyone who has seen the book can clearly be aware of ;)

Anyway there is also a third title - "The Book of Qt 4: The Art of Building Qt Applications" by Daniel Molketin. You can learn my opinion about this book from my review of it - http://blog.wysota.eu.org/index.php/the-book-of-qt4-the-art-of-building-qt-applications-review/

pkohut
7th January 2011, 14:56
Picked up Johan's excellent book last week. For an experienced programmer, the first 2 chapters make this book worth buying.

ComaWhite
8th January 2011, 06:21
Yeah I have Johan's book. It is good, some couple parts are old and outdated, but others are still very useful.

javimoya
8th January 2011, 15:46
is there any new book about qt in development?

Zlatomir
8th January 2011, 16:00
Yes, it has been mentioned in second post: link to amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Qt-Programming-Creating-Development/dp/0321635906)
But as the title says, it's not an introduction to Qt

As an first book i recommend Johan's book Foundations of Qt Development, the thing i like the most at this book is the usage of code snippets, the author sometimes just gives you a little code that you need to integrate into a project and code the rest of the needed ui/functionality to proper use the snippet, that makes you reuse and play on your own with the things you learned before and helps you better learn and understand the concepts.

LE: don't understand me wrong, the book also has begin-to-end applications, but some smaller concepts are introduced by explanation and snippet (as i said, somewhat, forcing you to already reuse and put in practice the knowledge you previously learned)

ValPaliy
10th January 2011, 19:13
Hi. Thank you very much for your suggestions! I will see if I can get my hands on any of the books mentioned here.:o

HelderC
11th January 2011, 11:32
I have the second book... Its very good. But the Summerfield's one is very good too.