PDA

View Full Version : Qt vs. Java

.:saeed:.
17th January 2011, 19:16
Hello everyone !
Is Qt better for cross platform programming or java is better?
I am waiting for your responds !:rolleyes:
Thanks

wysota
17th January 2011, 19:36
Hmm... what kind of response do you expect? Especially on a Qt forum ;) I can only say that Java is a programming language and Qt is a programming framework that isn't tied to a programming language. So you question is like comparing a hammer to an umbrella.

javimoya
17th January 2011, 19:51
maybe your question is:
Is C++ better for cross platform programming or java is better?
I think that Java

wysota
17th January 2011, 19:57
maybe your question is:
Is C++ better for cross platform programming or java is better?

I'd say it depends on the platforms you wish to be compliant with.

So as my Swedish collegue Henrik would say --- "it depends on". Exactly like with hammer and umbrella, by the way.

17th January 2011, 21:01
I don't have any experience in java programming so ...
But in a forum, I said Qt is good because it is cross platform, it has Nokia support and ... , but somebody said no! Java is the best programming language for cross platform development. So What are your opinions about it ? Is Qt good and why and why not ?Should i transfer to some framework else? I like Qt and i had good time with it , but today i am in a doubt. Please help me.

wysota
17th January 2011, 21:04
It depends what you want to do. There is no solution that is best for everything.

17th January 2011, 21:23
There is no solution that is best for everything.
Sorry , One Question : Are there any types of programming that Qt can't support them, except web developing ?( I hope my question is correct Syntactically )

wysota
18th January 2011, 12:12
Everything the underlying language (like C++) supports, Qt supports as well. It just might not be any real benefit from using it. Again, stop treating Qt as a separate language. It's just a set of libraries. And you can do web development with Qt just fine.

18th January 2011, 16:59
Thanks wysota for your responds, thanks;)

And you can do web development with Qt just fine
Really !?:confused:

wysota
18th January 2011, 17:14
Really !?:confused:
Sure, why not?

18th January 2011, 17:34
Sure, why not?
Sorry:o , I google it but can't find any useful link, Can you give me some references ?
thanks

wysota
18th January 2011, 22:00
References to what?

18th January 2011, 23:11
References to what?

Web development with Qt:)

wysota
18th January 2011, 23:18
Could you be more specific?

19th January 2011, 05:02
You said to me , I can do web programming with Qt, How i can do that? How i can design a site with Qt :o? In my thoughts web programming equals to design a site ? Am i wrong ?!:confused:

nish
19th January 2011, 07:15
In my thoughts web programming equals to design a site ? Am i wrong ?!:confused:

web programming and web site design are sometimes have the mix meaning and both are used to refer each one, but these are two are completely different things.
Web site designs can be done by a non-programmer, just a UI designer. Where as web programming is a vast area consisting of database access, servers, clients,
generators etc.

As of now, if you are making a server app of something of that sort then you can very well use Qt.

wysota
19th January 2011, 10:39
You said to me , I can do web programming with Qt, How i can do that? How i can design a site with Qt :o? In my thoughts web programming equals to design a site ? Am i wrong ?!:confused:

http://www.webtoolkit.eu/wt

john_god
19th January 2011, 20:54
between java and Qt I would go for Qt. But I'm suspicous because I'm on a Qt forum and don't know nothing about java ;) . Check this link (http://turing.iimas.unam.mx/~elena/PDI-Lic/qt-vs-java-whitepaper.pdf). If you have some especific task that can be done in java or Qt, and if you have deadlines, bear in mind the learning curve, since you said you don't know java. Also for web site development in client side, with database acess, perhaps php with sql would do the trick.

19th January 2011, 23:08
Thanks for your article but

Also for web site development in client side, with database acess, perhaps php with sql would do the trick.
Sorry but i think it should be server side , I have used them but it was interesting for me that i can do web programming with C++.

wysota
20th January 2011, 01:19
It really depends what you mean by "web programming" really. Is building a web-service "web programming"? C++ can definitely do that. Is implementing a web-browser plugin "web programming"? C++ can do that too. Is building a web-server content handler "web programming"? C++ can certainly do that.