PDA

View Full Version : Building QT program on the Linux in QtCreator

piyushpandey
18th January 2011, 05:35
Hello to all

I made a simple hello program in the QT Creator installed on my desktop running Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Linux and during the creation of project there was only one folder named as the "Hello" on my Desktop and contains these files :

main.cpp
mainwindow.cpp
mainwindow.h
mainwindow.ui
Hello.pro
Hello.pro.user

and when I build the program it created another folder named as " Hello-build-desktop " containing these files:

main.o
mainwindow.o
Makefile
moc_mainwindow.cpp
moc_mainwindow.o
ui_mainwindow.h
Hello

I want to know that what is this all about and what all files actually mean and why it create this another folder and do not compile the files in the same folder which I have created

Thank you

Piyush Pandey

high_flyer
18th January 2011, 10:51
I want to know that what is this all about and what all files actually mean
The *.o files are the object files.
Google for what compiling is and what are object files.

the moc_*.cpp files are moc genrated files.
read about what the MOC is here (http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest/moc.html).

and why it create this another folder and do not compile the files in the same folder which I have created
This is the way your QtCreator is configured.
Read the QtCreator help in order to change these settings.

ChrisW67
18th January 2011, 22:29
This is a shadow build directory. Using a shadow build directory ensures that only your source files are in the source directory and all intermediate files are elsewhere. This reduces clutter for version control systems, makes cleaning the build trivial, and makes bundling just the source trivial.

The options you want are under Projects, Build Settings and are called "Shadow Build" and "Build Directory".