PDA

View Full Version : QT Roadmap considering Boost and C++0x

frank100
19th January 2011, 14:04
Although QT and BOOST overlap in some features, and I prefer "the QT way" much more, I still miss some features from the later.

Is there any official report or article from Nokia and/or the QT Framework team about what they want to duplicate/overlap and what they do not plan to replicate?

wysota
19th January 2011, 15:19
Unless Qt requires some functionality that is present in Boost, an equivalent is unlikely to be written because Boost and Qt go together well so if one needs it, he can use Boost together with Qt in his project. Bear in mind that anything that goes into Qt must be compliant with every platform and every compiler officially supported by Qt. Boost does not have such an obligation (that's one of the reasons Qt doesn't use Boost internally).

As for C++0x, it's still not a finished standard and its support in compilers is in bad shape. Qt can't rely on such things. I've seen a statement from one of the Trolls that they are paying a close attention to what's happening to C++0x and when it gets fixed and supported by compilers, they might start using extensions from the standard.

By the way, it's "Qt" not "QT". The latter is a technology of the fruit company.

frank100
19th January 2011, 20:48
Thanks! I got confused after reading the summary of all the smart pointers implemented within "Qt" (thanks also for the correction)

Actually I believed that Boost was ported to more architectures than Qt. I try to stay within Qt as much as possible but I also miss a summary with the overlapped parts, specially to not go away too soon! So far I used the Boost scoped smart pointer because I did not know there was an equivalent within Qt

wysota
19th January 2011, 20:59
Actually I believed that Boost was ported to more architectures than Qt.
It's not about "more", it's about "different".

I try to stay within Qt as much as possible but I also miss a summary with the overlapped parts, specially to not go away too soon! So far I used the Boost scoped smart pointer because I did not know there was an equivalent within Qt
Boost smart pointers are more mature than the ones in Qt but since they have comparable functionality it doesn't matter which ones you choose. I personally don't use smart pointers at all :)