PDA

View Full Version : Phonon in Windows XP using Mingw

pssss
21st January 2011, 13:44
I installed the Microsoft SDK, I'm using Mingw and I can't make it work. I found this article http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2009/07/15/phonon-and-mingw-a-story-about-true-windows-love/ but it's quite old and also the documentation on the Qt Phonon page hasn't been updated since 2007 apparently. So where are we now? Can it or it cannot work? I wouldn't like having to switch to Linux every time I want to develop using Qt. If it can work, please tell me how.

Thanks in advance.

high_flyer
21st January 2011, 13:48
I installed the Microsoft SDK, I'm using Mingw and I can't make it work.
You either work with MS, OR with MinGW.

pssss
21st January 2011, 14:17
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest/phonon-overview.html

Windows

On Windows, building Phonon requires DirectX and DirectShow version 9 or higher. You'll need additional SDKs you can download from Microsoft.

Regardless of what compiler you use, but it doesn't work for MinGW and since the documentation is a bit old I was wondering if anything new came out. The article I linked above says that Qt supports MinGW but that "MinGW doesn't support us" with respect to Phonon. Very convenient indeed. I'll switch technologies for this project then.

high_flyer
21st January 2011, 14:45
Yes, on windows you can't use MingGW for building phonon. (phonon docs):

Warning: The MinGW version of Qt does not support building the Qt backend.

EDIT:

Very convenient indeed. I'll switch technologies for this project then.
Well, you have to remember, that Phonon is very hardware and therefore system dependent by its nature.
For a very long time (Qt version < 4.X) media support was not part of Qt, for that very reason.
Phonon is still a very young technology, which by far is not yet ripe.
At the moment, phonon has very basic usages support out of the box, such a predominating media playback, and, it offers a framework to implement your own.

The very fact Qt even dared to go on on this path, surprised me, but should be more admired than looked down at, when considering the problematic of a crossplatfom media support.

pssss
21st January 2011, 15:37
Alright, thank you.

I'm going to download MSVC Express which is free and then try to use its compiler from QtCreator. Can you please tell me if I will be able to make it work with that?

high_flyer
21st January 2011, 16:00
I think that if you do the configuration correctly it should work, but I can't say for sure, since I never used 2005 express.
Maybe some other users who have can comment as well.