PDA

View Full Version : Can GPLed Icons be used in Commercial softwares ?

sunil.thaha
28th September 2006, 07:41
Hi Guys

Can Icons releasd under GPL license be used in Commercial softwares( without releasing the source codes ) ?

if so, what are the terms and the conditions ?

wysota
28th September 2006, 08:08
No, they can't. But LGPL ones can. For example Crystal Icons from KDE3 are LGPL, so you can use them.

Brandybuck
28th September 2006, 09:52
Unless you use Qt resources. Then the icons are embedded in the application and become part of the application. In that case you have to treat it as the GPL. At least according to some people's interpretation. Always load LGPL icons at runtime.

ivan.cukic
28th September 2006, 15:24
GPL icons can be used in Commercial software if the software is under GPL. GPL doesn't restrain you from selling the program, it only forces you to give the source code along with the binaries to the person/company you are selling it to.

I hate when people mix the FLOSS (Free Libre Open Source Software) term with a price of the product. Opposite of FLOSS is not "commercial", but "non-free" or "proprietary".

wysota
28th September 2006, 16:30
I think when people talk about "commercial" software, they mean closed source systems. I know that's not the same, but still people tend to use the term in such a manner.

Brandybuck
28th September 2006, 19:31
I hate when people mix the FLOSS (Free Libre Open Source Software) term with a price of the product. Opposite of FLOSS is not "commercial", but "non-free" or "proprietary".
In the real world, 99% of commercial software is proprietary. The reason is simple. If you don't limit the distribution channels, people can get the identical software from somewhere else. People aren't going to pay for what they don't have to pay for.

This is, of course, different from selling services, support, and other add-ons. Most "commercial" Free Software is really just selling something else. The software itself is still gratis for all intents and purposes. I don't know of any successful commercial Free Software which has the price tag on the software itself. If you think you know of one, take a closer look and you'll see that the price tag is on something other than the software.

ivan.cukic
28th September 2006, 19:59
This is going a bit off, but I need to respond.

The question of the thread was "Can GPLed Icons be used in Commercial softwares?", the answer is Yes - but it needs to be clarified.

Most people think that GPL forbids commercialization (due to texts like this thread). My job is to correct them.

Brandybuck
29th September 2006, 02:06
Most people think that GPL forbids commercialization (due to texts like this thread). My job is to correct them.
Don't correct me by merely saying I'm wrong. Correct me by offering *one* example of successful commercial GPL software. I don't mean sellling services, support or proprietary add-ons, but for selling the GPL software itself.

sunil.thaha
29th September 2006, 06:55
The question of the thread was "Can GPLed Icons be used in Commercial softwares?", the answer is Yes - but it needs to be clarified.

Ok.

So rephrasing the Question :

Can GPLed Icons be used in Commercial Softwares that does not wish to release the source ?

Is that fine.

And how am i violating the license if I include/embed the LGPLed Icons in the resource file ?

Brandybuck
29th September 2006, 07:30
And how am i violating the license if I include/embed the LGPLed Icons in the resource file ?
According to some opinions, the LGPL only grants an exception in section 6b to works that use a shared library linking mechanism. Since embedding icons in the executable is not linking to a shared library, it means you may have to make the application source code available according to paragraphs 6a, 6c, 6d or 6e. However, loading the icons at runtime is not considered a problem.

I am only telling you how some people interpret the LGPL. Talk to your lawyer!