PDA

View Full Version : Application configuration incorrect in VS 2010

Batox
2nd February 2011, 08:54
Added after 7 minutes:

I downloaded vcredist_x86 from Microsoft and installed it. The "repair mode" showed up, so it seems something was already there. I repaired it. Problem persisted.

I ran vcredist_x86 again and uninstalled it, then installed it again. No gain.

I downloaded vcredist_x64 (it's Windows 7 64 bit on the machine at work). Installed and test - same problem still there.

Now I'm out of ideas.

stampede
2nd February 2011, 09:52
(...) same problem still there
What is the problem exactly ? It looks to me like you've deleted a part of your original post.

Batox
2nd February 2011, 12:46
The problem is that when try to debug the program I get an error message box: "Unable to start program ... ... because the application configuration is incorrect. Review the manifest file ..."

When I start it form the outside (by clicking the exe) I get the error message: "... Side-by-Side configuration invalid ...".

As detailed in other posts with similar headings, this problem is normally solved by installing vcredist. Not in this case :(

Lesiok
2nd February 2011, 13:00
But vcredist is only for release version. Runtime for debug version should be installed with Visual Studio. Ie. release library is msvcr90.dll and debug version is msvcr90d.dll.

squidge
2nd February 2011, 13:14
just "vcredist_x86" doesn't make sense anyway, there are different versions for each version of visual studio runtime libraries.

Batox
2nd February 2011, 14:42
But vcredist is only for release version. Runtime for debug version should be installed with Visual Studio. Ie. release library is msvcr90.dll and debug version is msvcr90d.dll.

My thoughts exactly. I'm really at a loss what this message is trying to tell me.

squidge
2nd February 2011, 18:53
I remember the same problem on Vista, and the solution was to download the Vista SP1 and then the problem was solved. However, there is no service pack for Windows 7 yet that I know of.

Have you installed all updates of Visual Studio? Your error message points to a library fault, but which is a mystery.

Batox
28th March 2011, 15:47
I initially ran into this problem on a machine which I use only occasionally. I didn't find a solution but it didn't really matter. Now I had to re-install my regular work computer from scratch, and there the exact same problem occured again.

I did a more thorugh web search this time, and I found http://blog.paulnettleship.com/2010/11/11/troubleshooting-visual-studio-2010-and-qt-4-7-integration/, which indicates that the Qt binaries for Windows don't just need the VC2008 runtime redistributables, but an actual VC 2008 full installation, else it's impossible to debug the Qt application.

So it's neccessary to to rebuild Qt for VC 2010:

1. Get the sources from the download link (e.g. qt-everywhere-opensource etc..) and unpack them in the futre Qt directory.

2. Include the Qt directory in the PATH

3. Start the MSVC 2010 command prompt (Programs->MS Visual Studio 2010->Visual Studio Tools->Visual Studio Command Prompt (2010)

4. Navigate to the Qt directory, execute configure.exe there, don't forget to include option you may need (in my case it was the ODBC driver). Wait 10 min or so.

5. now run "nmake", and all should be fine... (wait ~3h)