PDA

View Full Version : To those with a Commercial License - still have to dynamically link QWebKit etc?

Jeffb
10th February 2011, 06:40
Hi Guys

I've been playing around with the LGPL version of Qt for the past 6 months and love it.

I like the idea of buying a commercial license for the sole reason that I can statically link the Qt libraries (and therefore need only provide a single executable file to customers).

I've been reading here that because QtWebkit, QtHelpModule and Phonon are based on GLPL libraries themselves, that even if I buy a Commercial license, I still have to dynamically link to these libraries.

My questions are these:

1. If the above is true, is there any point in me buying a Commercial License (assuming I have no intention of changing the Qt source code and am not interested in the free year support that comes with the Commercial License)?

2. Is there anyway around the above problem?

Thanks guys.
Jeff

wysota
10th February 2011, 23:20
I like the idea of buying a commercial license for the sole reason that I can statically link the Qt libraries (and therefore need only provide a single executable file to customers).
Technically speaking you don't need a commercial licence for that.

1. If the above is true, is there any point in me buying a Commercial License (assuming I have no intention of changing the Qt source code and am not interested in the free year support that comes with the Commercial License)?
It depends whether your application needs Phonon, QtWebKit or QtHelp. If not then there is no problem - just don't link them into your app.

2. Is there anyway around the above problem?
Yes, at least two. One is to release your app on LGPL or compatible licence. Another is to link statically and provide object code for your app so that the end user can relink your application with a different version of the LGPL-licenced components.

Jeffb
11th February 2011, 10:24
Thanks Wysota

I need QtWebKit.
I think I'll just stay with dynamic linking and save myself some money.

Thanks
Jeff

squidge
11th February 2011, 12:59
You can use static linking even without commercial license as long as you comply with the relevent parts of the license.

But overall, it's easier to just use dynamic linking.