PDA

View Full Version : can the phonon eliminate the human voice in mpg video file ?

iotioa
15th February 2011, 02:17
I have make a media player in windows xp, I want the player can eliminate the human voice in mpg file which like a Karaoke. how can I do it? thanks to reply!

SixDegrees
15th February 2011, 07:38
Hire a backup band and have them play all the instrumental parts, skipping the lyrics.

Or, contact the producers and ask them for the original recording tracks, minus the vocal track, then remix.

ChrisW67
15th February 2011, 08:35
Should be possible, but not perfect, with some sort of notch filter. It looks like you could insert it into a Phonon processing chain as a QEffect.

SixDegrees
15th February 2011, 12:07
The problem with a notch filter is that is has to be excessively broad. Most singers span a range of a couple octaves, a given song might make use of an octave, and the range overlaps that of many instruments in the mid- and high-ranges. Even worse, speech is still easily recognizable when fundamental tones are removed completely, leaving only overtones; for a notch filter to work, then, you have to broaden the notch to encompass 3 to 4 octaves, and even then there will be recognizable vocal artifacts left behind. Meanwhile, the overall quality of the recording is degraded dramatically.

Fourier or Wavelet-based approaches would overcome some of these problems, but to be truly effective such an algorithm would need samples of the voice being removed recorded a capella to determine the exact timbre to filter out. Again, the end result is poor removal or a very low quality end result.

The human voice is very very complex and overlays a broad spectrum of other musical sounds, making this task a very hard problem.

iotioa
16th February 2011, 02:47
thanks all, I run the command "mplayer -stereo 1 ./tz.mpg" which can remove the human voice. It's means that if i change the sounds track and i can remove the human voice and just left the music. so how can i change the sound track in phonon, thanks!

ChrisW67
16th February 2011, 08:33
Your mplayer command plays only the left channel out of a stereo pair, which has nothing to do with removing a human voice from a soundtrack. Your request is just selecting one channel or the other in Phonon.

SixDegrees: Points taken... but clearly you haven't heard my singing voice :)