PDA

View Full Version : Debugging on Mac

rickbsgu
8th October 2006, 20:09
New to Qt on the Mac, lots of experience elsewhere.

Laying the groundwork for a cross-platform project - build isn't an issue, I can use qmake/gmake and php on all of the platforms to control the builds.

Debugging is another issue. On Win, I can use the MS IDE. I'm assuming I can do the same thing on Mac w/ XCode. (I can [and have] used commandline debuggers, but an IDE makes things a lot easier.) I'm rummaging around in the XCode documentation, now, to figure out how to attach it to a non-XCode project for debugging.

What are you all using to debug? Is Eclipse available on Mac and Win? If so, what have been your experiences with it? What about the emacs wrapper for gdb? Any other IDE your fave?

Thoughts, heads up comments (and pointers to succinct docs, perhaps) appreciated as I rummage around....

Thanx,
rickb

jpn
8th October 2006, 20:23
Maybe this helps: Qt4 with Xcode (http://qtnode.net/wiki/Qt4_with_Xcode).

rickbsgu
9th October 2006, 03:39
Good resource, thanks.

It's a bit broader in scope than I'm looking for - like I said, I'm comfortable using command-line tools for the build. I just want to use XCode and the like for debugging.

thanx,
rickb

rickbsgu
13th October 2006, 13:12
Done some more research on this - XCode project has to be complete - i.e., has to have a '.xcodeproj' file, and has to have source listed properly in the '.xcodeproj' file. You can't just run XCode against an executable and expect it to debug it (like you can devenv on Win.)

Right now, I'm having a problem because I can't step into Qt code - a vital necessity, in my experience. Suspect it has to do with not compiling the whole kit with QMAKESPEC=macx-xcode. Will have to try a rebuid.

Onward.

rickb