PDA

View Full Version : gui application for serial port communication

jerkymotion
9th March 2011, 19:49
i have to develop an GUI application based on serial port communication, I have downloaded QT SDK 2010.05 and installed it and again I downloaded qextserialport-1.2win-alpha Now i have extracted it in my c:\qextserial(folder), i can't find the file "qextserialport.dll" and "libqextserialport.a" . what should i do?

schnitzel
9th March 2011, 20:01
this is not a Qt problem and please stop opening so many similar topics:
http://www.qtcentre.org/threads/39436-GUI-application-for-serial-communication?p=181069&highlight=#post181069

please note that the qextserialport project is now hosted on google code as was explained in your other post.
You have to build the library yourself.

jerkymotion
9th March 2011, 20:07
what isn't this forum for helping qt user

Lykurg
9th March 2011, 20:12
what isn't this forum for helping qt user
Yes of course, but only if both sides are willing. Helping does not mean to do the work for you and present you the result. If we should help, then we expect that you also are willing to do your part. And as I can see, your problem is not about serial port, it is about basic understanding using a library. Have you read the documentation about how to use dynamic libraries? (See the qmake documentation and LIBS as a starting point.)

jerkymotion
9th March 2011, 20:19
.....ya but it says .....cannot find -lqextserialport......I am using windows 7...what should i do???

schnitzel
9th March 2011, 20:24
please try to build the enumerator example that comes with qextserialport and try running it. Then study the enumerator project - that is how you use the qextserialport library.

squidge
9th March 2011, 20:30
.....ya but it says .....cannot find -lqextserialport......I am using windows 7...what should i do???

Well, does the name of the DLL match? Is it in the linker search path? If you downloaded the source code of the library, did it build successfully?

jerkymotion
9th March 2011, 20:38
I downloaded and extracted it... c:\qextserial(folder) and opened the .pro file using qt...
After that I tried to run it but a dialoag window appeared asking for a executable path ...and I had no Idea what to do....but after a while it did created the dll and libqextserialport.a but....when I tried to run other pro filess...an error message appears cannot find -lqextserialport and collect2:ld returnd 1 exit status

schnitzel
9th March 2011, 21:00
I downloaded and extracted it... c:\qextserial(folder) and opened the .pro file using qt...
After that I tried to run it but a dialoag window appeared asking for a executable path ...and I had no Idea what to do....but after a while it did created the dll and libqextserialport.a but....when I tried to run other pro filess...an error message appears cannot find -lqextserialport and collect2:ld returnd 1 exit status

make sure you have the latest version from google code project page.
You can't run the library, but you can run the examples.

step 1: download (latest) qextserialport code
step 2: open qextserialport.pro and build
step 3: check that the examples where built under the 'examples' directory, if not just open the corresponding .pro file from one of the examples and build it (successful step 2 is required for this)
step 4: run one of the examples
step 5: study one of the examples to learn how to 'use' the qextserialport library

jerkymotion
9th March 2011, 21:00
here is the screen shot of what I get when I try to run my .pro file of qextserialport...after building the .pro file..
now i have no idea which path to provide to run

schnitzel
9th March 2011, 21:03
here is the screen shot of what I get when I try to run my .pro file of qextserialport...after building the .pro file..
now i have no idea which path to provide to run

you CAN'T run a library. The main project file is not intended to be run as an application.

try running the examples instead and study the .pro file for the enumerator example.

jerkymotion
9th March 2011, 21:43
THANKS schnitzel ....now I have successfully build the libraries and run the application as well
CHEERS:D