PDA

View Full Version : Publishing a 'Qt SDK' windows program

Professor widget
9th March 2011, 20:12
Hello guys...just wanted to ask you ( as a newbie ) how it is going with publishing / licence of a program you write in Qt SDK. Let's say I've written a small program in Qt SDK windows LGPL and compiled to .exe that I want to publish on the net. Do I need to go for a commercial licence or I just disclose the code if I don't go for commercial licence ? I know there's an extensive manual regarding licences but I just want a quick to the point answer if I may. Regards, Dave.

squidge
9th March 2011, 20:43
We can not give legal advice on a forum.

However, if you publish the source code of your application, then you can publish with no worries.

If you do not publish the source code of your application, then you must either purchase commercial license, or offer any users of your application the ability to change the version of Qt your application depends on (eg. dynamically link - put Qt into a .DLL like QtGUI4.dll/etc, or statically link and provide object code).

As for the library itself, any changes you make must be published unless you purchase commercial license.

Thats my interpretation of the current license. If you want to ensure you don't get sued by me saying something incorrect, ask a lawyer.

Professor widget
9th March 2011, 20:52
That makes sense - thank you..