PDA

View Full Version : Size of distribution of QT desktop application

mvbhavsar
24th March 2011, 09:38
Hi,

We have requirement to deliver desktop application to one of our client. This application will then put on their server and will be downloaded by users through internet. But we are worried about size of distributable as we need to accompany required dlls like QtCore4.dll, QtCored4.dll, QtGui4.dll, QtGuid4.dll, QtNetwork4.dll, QtNetworkd4.all, libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll, mingwm10.dll, QtSql4.dll, QtSqld4.dll along with executable. This size is approximately 202 MB which is not acceptable by client to be downloaded. Please suggest a way to distribute application with necessary dll which will limit size to 10 to 20 MB only. Also, we want to distribute this as installer. Kindly advice on this also.

This is for windows platform and compiler is mingw32-make

Regards

Manish Bhavsar

tbscope
24th March 2011, 09:41
Don't include the debug dll's ?

stampede
24th March 2011, 09:44
Don't deploy debug libraries - or maybe you want the user to debug your app? :p

SixDegrees
24th March 2011, 14:55
Also - on Linux, anyway - be sure to run 'strip' on your executables and dynamic libraries.

agarny
24th March 2011, 14:58
Also - on Linux, anyway - be sure to run 'strip' on your executables and dynamic libraries.Same on Windows. It's only on Mac OS X that the link option (-Wl,-s) is obsolete, if I recall correctly.

mvbhavsar
25th March 2011, 05:55
What is strip? and how can I run it on my executable?

squidge
25th March 2011, 08:43
Last time I looked it was part of the Qt SDK as it comes with MinGW. Just run it with the path to your executables. Eg. strip <exe>