PDA

View Full Version : Serial communication program in QT

pupqt
30th March 2011, 10:19
Hi,

I am developing a serial communication software to communicate with other device using Linux QT.

I am bit puzzled how to start? I have downloaded qextserialport classes n successfully installed in QT.

Now I want to know how to start program. What is its algorithm. I have to send data, I have to receive data.

I think it involves
1. configuring ports (Do i need to configure both Send and receive ports?)
2. Transmit
3. Receive

please explain me how it works n how software has to be developed....

Waiting for reply

high_flyer
30th March 2011, 10:32
Here is what you have to do (http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#rtfm)

ChrisW67
31st March 2011, 02:16
I am developing a serial communication software to communicate with other device using Linux QT.

I am bit puzzled how to start? I have downloaded qextserialport classes n successfully installed in QT.

OK. That's a start.

Now I want to know how to start program.

Traditionally by writing a main() function and some other code.

What is its algorithm. I have to send data, I have to receive data.

Algorithm? Do some stuff to receive data and process it. Do some stuff to process data and send it. You need to to work out what your requirement for your processing is. There is no single magic button you can press to build Pupqt Wonder Program 2011.

I think it involves
1. configuring ports (Do i need to configure both Send and receive ports?)
2. Transmit
3. Receive

Excellent summary

please explain me how it works n how software has to be developed....

Waiting for reply
How your software works is entirely up to you.

tablebubble
11th April 2011, 18:40
Hello!
Consider using the qextserialport library, its an external Library
http://extserialport.sourceforge.net
cheers

pupqt
27th April 2011, 09:50
OK. That's a start.

Traditionally by writing a main() function and some other code.

Algorithm? Do some stuff to receive data and process it. Do some stuff to process data and send it. You need to to work out what your requirement for your processing is. There is no single magic button you can press to build Pupqt Wonder Program 2011.

Excellent summary

How your software works is entirely up to you.

Hey thanks for what ever u commented,

Can u tell me how to read series of bytes and display on text edit box?? There am facing prob at present

high_flyer
27th April 2011, 10:12
Can u tell me how to read series of bytes and display on text edit box??
- Open the port.
- Read the bytes form the port in to QByteArray
- Feed the QByteArray to a QTextEdit.

There am facing prob at present
What problem?

apeish
3rd May 2011, 11:57
Is there a reason that you link him to the old projekct page of QExtSerialPort tablebubble?

afaik it is:
http://qextserialport.sourceforge.net/ = Old
http://code.google.com/p/qextserialport/ = current

ChrisW67
5th May 2011, 04:55
Possibly because the "old" page has nothing on it to indicate that it is an old page, that the project is dormant, or that it has moved, and that's the page you get at the top of a Google search for "QExtSerialPort"

schnitzel
5th May 2011, 18:01
Possibly because the "old" page has nothing on it to indicate that it is an old page, that the project is dormant, or that it has moved, and that's the page you get at the top of a Google search for "QExtSerialPort"

Too bad nobody ever clicks on the 2nd link :p

Seriously, I wish the former project members would put a little notice on that top page and refer to the new project on google. Often, people post questions about qextserial port and they don't realize they are battling problems that have been taken care of in the new project.

high_flyer
5th May 2011, 18:14
Seriously, I wish the former project members would put a little notice on that top page and refer to the new project on google. Often, people post questions about qextserial port and they don't realize they are battling problems that have been taken care of in the new project.
Why not write to them, they are responsive, at least they where few months back.

schnitzel
5th May 2011, 18:20
Why not write to them, they are responsive, at least they where few months back.

doing that right now :)

ChrisW67
6th May 2011, 02:20
Too bad nobody ever clicks on the 2nd link :p
At the time of writing, that takes you to the SourceForge page, as does the third link. The fourth link is a treat :) A bit further down is another fork of QExtSerialPort on GitHub.

schnitzel
13th May 2011, 07:26

the good folks at qextserialport took care of it. There is now a redirect in place.