PDA

View Full Version : Desperate call for help...

Miyak
10th April 2011, 02:54

Hello,

Im currently working in a chemistry project using Qt under Linux. I used to work under Fedora 14 and just yesterday I switched to the most recent Kubuntu. My application is able to open some files and plot out some molecules using OpenGL. Worked without problems under Fedora, now that I switched to Kubuntu, my application crashes when I open the same files I opened under Fedora.

I've attached the Application output I get (which I also didnt get under Fedora).

I hope someone can make something out of that and help me out here, Im sure it must be something noobish slipping past me.

Thank you very much!

Kayim

ChrisW67
10th April 2011, 03:14
What attached output?

Miyak
10th April 2011, 03:16
It's on a line just above "Hello," :)

Edit:

Had to attach it as a .doc file :)

wysota
10th April 2011, 06:32
Did you rebuild your program after moving it to Kubuntu?

Miyak
10th April 2011, 06:41
yes, I deleted the object files, the .pro file and the .pro.user file. Rebuilt from the new system.

wysota
10th April 2011, 06:53
What gfx card do you have and what drivers do you have installed for it?

Miyak
10th April 2011, 08:20
ATI Technologies Inc RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series]

How do i find out which drivers I have installed? As you may have deduced by now im a Linux neophyte, hehehe.

Browsing through Synaptic I see I got 4 ATI display drivers Installed, which are:

X.Org X server -- ATI Mach64 display driver 6.8.2-3build2
X.Org X server -- ATI r128 display driver 6.8.1-3build1
X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI display driver wrapper 1:6.13.1-1ubuntu5
X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI Radeon display driver 1:6.13.1-1ubuntu5

All of which were automatically installed.

Im working on a Dell Inspiron 1521.

SixDegrees
10th April 2011, 10:28
Your error message indicates that the program is looking for the ibus library but can't locate it. Try installing the ibus package and see if that helps.

Miyak
10th April 2011, 19:50
I installed every ibus package I found on synaptic and it still crashes on me :S

It did something though, as the new application output is shorter.

I have a meeting tomorrow where Im supposed to show this app, so I might have to go back to Fedora for that, but I really like Kubuntu better xD

Last night a cousin told me that I should've installed Kubuntu and THEN Windows 7, but I did it the other way around. Still, that couldnt be the cause my app is crashing, could it?

SixDegrees
10th April 2011, 20:13
Here's where your error is reported:

Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon

Apparently, Ubuntu doesn't start the ibus daemon at startup; there are several complaints about this scattered across the Web.

Here's an article on how to make it do that. (http://saji89.wordpress.com/2010/09/06/automatic-startup-of-ibus-daemon-on-ubuntu-startup/)

Restart and try again.

Miyak
10th April 2011, 20:32
thank you so much, that did take out a bunch of the application output errors...still it crashes though lol.

Starting /home/kayim/Downloads/Fuente-build-desktop/Fuente...
(2337) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Opening cache "/var/tmp/kdecache-kayim/icon-cache.kcache" page size is 4096
(2337) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Attached to cache, determining if it must be initialized
(2337) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Cache fully initialized -- attached to memory mapping
(2337) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: 6774784 bytes available out of 10485760
(2337) KSycocaPrivate::openDatabase: Trying to open ksycoca from "/var/tmp/kdecache-kayim/ksycoca4"
kfilemodule(2337)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory::parseMagic: Now parsing "/usr/share/mime/magic"
kfilemodule(2337)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory::parseMagic: Now parsing "/home/kayim/.local/share/mime/magic"
The program has unexpectedly finished.
/home/kayim/Downloads/Fuente-build-desktop/Fuente exited with code 0

That's what it still says :S

Sorry to keep bothering, but Im going crazy cause it makes no sense to me xD

SixDegrees
10th April 2011, 20:44
I'm at a loss. You could try moving /home/kayim/.local/share/mime/magic, or the entire .local subdirectory, out of the way, followed by another restart. At this point, though, I'd say running the program in a debugger would be more fruitful, as there are no more explicit error messages.

You aren't using QCoreApplication instead of QApplication by any chance? See here for a similar error message. (http://www.richelbilderbeek.nl/CppRuntimeErrorCannotCreateAqwidgetWhenNoGuiIsBein gUsed.htm)

Miyak
10th April 2011, 21:04
Okay, if I run the program under debugging in Qt Creator it gets to the point where I can watch and move the molecule I loaded, but crashes if I try to exit the application.

I thought I wasnt using QCoreApplication but I can see there's a line which says Function: QCoreApplication. The problem is I didnt write the entire program, it was somewhat of an inheritance, so is there a way I could search the whole bunch of files to find which one is using QCoreApplication? Also, how can I post the debugging information to check if it's any help?

thank you

Edit:

It also says it's stopped because of a segmentation fault by signal SIGSEGV

SixDegrees
10th April 2011, 21:16
Grep your source files for 'QCoreApplication'; see if replacing it with 'QApplication' has any effect. It is likely in the same file where your main() routine lives.

Miyak
10th April 2011, 21:42
kayim@kayim-Inspiron-1521:~/Downloads/Fuente$ grep QCoreApplication *.*
kayim@kayim-Inspiron-1521:~/Downloads/Fuente$ grep QApplication *.*
Panel.cpp: QApplication::setStyle(QStyleFactory::create(style ));
Sinapsis.cpp: : QApplication( argc , argv )
Sinapsis.h:class Sinapsis : public QApplication

Apparently, there arent any QCoreApplication in the whole program, dont know why it comes up in the debugger then :S

Added after 5 minutes:

Also, I dont think I posted the new application output which seems a little different.

SixDegrees
10th April 2011, 22:14
So it looks like it outputs the string "Test1001" and dies.

At this point, I'd advise you to revert to the platform it runs on, given that you seem unfamiliar with a good deal of the code.

Miyak
10th April 2011, 22:22
Thanks, I think I will do that :S

Still Im sure it's something fixable, right? I mean, it worked on Fedora 14, the exact same code and the exact same Qt release. Thank you so much for your help. I'll keep you guys posted if I find out how to make it work xD

Kayim

wysota
11th April 2011, 09:30
The thing is there is no easy way to determine if the crash is caused by the application or the environment it is running in. Since you don't know the code very well, it is hard to establish that as neither we nor you know what the code is doing.

Miyak
11th April 2011, 17:48
Apparently, Ubuntu is a jealous OS.....I just had to go back to an older version of my program, rewrite the code I added the last month while working on Fedora and now it's all cool!

(2892) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Opening cache "/var/tmp/kdecache-kayim/icon-cache.kcache" page size is 4096
(2892) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Attached to cache, determining if it must be initialized
(2892) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Cache fully initialized -- attached to memory mapping
(2892) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: 6254592 bytes available out of 10485760
(2892) KSycocaPrivate::openDatabase: Trying to open ksycoca from "/var/tmp/kdecache-kayim/ksycoca4"
kfilemodule(2892)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory::parseMagic: Now parsing "/usr/share/mime/magic"
kfilemodule(2892)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory::parseMagic: Now parsing "/home/kayim/.local/share/mime/magic"

That's all I get, but now it wont crash no matter how many files I open.

I find this amusing so I though I would share with you guys!

Thanks again for the help :)