PDA

View Full Version : Playing system sounds with QSound in a platform-agnostic way

blooglet
11th April 2011, 10:01
I would like to play the operating system's warning sound using QSound. Is there a way to access the user's sound scheme in a platform-agnostic way to retrieve the correct sound?

high_flyer
11th April 2011, 10:55
Is there a way to access the user's sound scheme in a platform-agnostic way to retrieve the correct sound?

An agnostic does not deny the existence of God and heaven but holds that one cannot know for certain whether or not they exist. The term agnostic was fittingly coined by the 19th-century British scientist Thomas H. Huxley, who believed that only material phenomena were objects of exact knowledge. He made up the word from the prefix a-, meaning "without, not," as in amoral, and the noun Gnostic. Gnostic is related to the Greek word gnsis, "knowledge," which was used by early Christian writers to mean "higher, esoteric knowledge of spiritual things"; hence, Gnostic referred to those with such knowledge. In coining the term agnostic, Huxley was considering as "Gnostics" a group of his fellow intellectuals"ists," as he called themwho had eagerly embraced various doctrines or theories that explained the world to their satisfaction. Because he was a "man without a rag of a label to cover himself with," Huxley coined the term agnostic for himself, its first published use being in 1870.
I guess you mean cross platform way, or platform non specific way.
Well, do all systems have a sound scheme?
Do all sound schemes have the same structure?
Oh, and btw - this is a window manager issue not a platform issue.

blooglet
11th April 2011, 11:20
As far as I know, platform agnostic is a valid term. I could be wrong since I'm not a native English speaker. But yes, I meant cross-platform way.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_agnostic

Another approach that is used is to depend on pre-existing software that hides the differences between the platforms—called abstraction of the platform—such that the program itself is unaware of the platform it is running on. It could be said that such programs are platform agnostic. Programs that run on the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) are built in this fashion.