PDA

View Full Version : Newbie help again please! (Win XP SP3)

mike phillips
11th April 2011, 09:45
A year or more ago I wrestled as a complete beginner with QT/QT Creator and finally managed to do what I wanted.

I have now installed the latest Creator 4.7.0 which is installed in C:\qt\2010.05

So far so good. System auto-detects QT in path. However, when I try to run the 'animated tiltles' example I get 2 hard warnings -
cannot find -lqtguid and a similar one.

If I try to run a previously successful programme built under the old QT I get the same without the 'd' on the end.

Most google hits seem to cover this problem with Arm installations and Suse, and I cannot find the problem anywhere for Windows.

Wrestling help again much appreciated. Not much assistance on the QT help pages. Please be gentle!

high_flyer
11th April 2011, 10:15
You need to specify in your PATH (system variable) the dierctoy in which your Qt dlls are.

mike phillips
11th April 2011, 11:05
Which dlls? I already have \bin in the path - are these not the ones?

wysota
11th April 2011, 11:20
Dlls with "d" at the end are debug versions which you apparently don't have in bin. Either build the app in release mode or provide debug versions of the libraries.

mike phillips
11th April 2011, 11:39
It would be a great help if someone could guide me on what I need to download and install!

I started with the SDK but got repetitive file hash errors in the download. I then ran the 'Creator' install package. That appears to be wrong too. Please note it is not just the debug dll's that are 'missing' - from post #1

"If I try to run a previously successful programme built under the old QT I get the same without the 'd' on the end."

Why on earth is an install programme not complete, or if I need to download something else, where am I guided on this on the QT pages?

wysota
11th April 2011, 12:14
I started with the SDK but got repetitive file hash errors in the download.
Seems like a problem with your network connection.

mike phillips
11th April 2011, 12:39
Ran the sdk install again today and it completed this time. Still getting the cannot find' on build. Is anyone able to explain in SIMPLE TERMS what I am missing please? Where will I find these dlls?

high_flyer
11th April 2011, 13:02
Ran the sdk install again today and it completed this time.
As you can see, the problem has to do with your own system and NOT with the Qt packages - thus, I don't think we can help you much, since we don't have access to your system.

squidge
11th April 2011, 13:09
Ran the sdk install again today and it completed this time. Still getting the cannot find' on build. Is anyone able to explain in SIMPLE TERMS what I am missing please? Where will I find these dlls?If you have succesfully downloaded and installed the SDK, you are not missing anything.

mike phillips
11th April 2011, 13:38
At last - thank you squidge. A shaft of light. Can YOU translate posts 2 and 3?

"If you have successfully downloaded and installed the SDK" - this time it said 'finished' which I take to mean 'successfully', so I am hoping to find out here some pointers as to why it does not work.

wysota
11th April 2011, 13:53
The fact that the SDK was installed correctly doesn't mean your system is in a proper state. I believe you have tried many things while trying to solve your problem and it is important that you undo all the operations you have done such as copying dlls or changing paths.

mike phillips
11th April 2011, 14:08
OK - but I have not copied any dll's and only added the path c:\Qt\2010.05\\bin. That is all the 'many things' I have 'tried'. Why was that wrong? Are you saying uninstall the whole shebang and try again? If so, what 'path' to add next time?

wysota
11th April 2011, 14:19
I didn't say anything you did was wrong. I say it is impossible for us to determine the state of your system. Uninstall everything related to Qt, purge any Qt libs that might be in your system directory and install just the SDK. Then rebuilding (including the qmake step) your project should work.

squidge
11th April 2011, 18:03
OK - but I have not copied any dll's and only added the path c:\Qt\2010.05\\binI suspect that path also contains qtcreator.exe and so as such it shouldn't be in in your path, or at least should be after the path containing Qtcored4.dll

But the above is done by the installer so instead of modifying your system even more, remove everything you installed, remove any modifications and just install the full SDK (which includes QtCreator).

mike phillips
13th April 2011, 13:15
Squidge - finally got round to that, and threw everything in the dustbin and reinstalled.

I now have QTcreator, but now when I run the the 'animated tiltles' example I get

mingw32-make: Leaving directory `C:/Qt/2010.05/qt/examples/animation/animatedtiles-build-desktop'

..\animatedtiles\main.cpp:256:20: error: main.moc: No such file or directory

mingw32-make[1]: *** [tmp/obj/release_shared/main.o] Error 1

mingw32-make: *** [release-all] Error 2

The process "C:/Qt/2010.05/mingw/bin/mingw32-make.exe" exited with code %2.
Error while building project animatedtiles (target: Desktop)
When executing build step 'Make'

Several Googles all seem to produce different solutions. Anyone offer a fix? This all seems so difficult!

wysota
13th April 2011, 15:56
Did you run qmake prior to calling make?

mike phillips
13th April 2011, 16:13
I'm afraid I have no idea what I ran! I ran 'build' in Creator. Are you saying I have to manually call every process in QT? In a previous version I simply selected 'build' and it all complied and ran.

squidge
13th April 2011, 16:48
No, but some processes you wouldn't want to call every time (such as qmake) therefore they are seperate.

So run Qmake, then click Build.

mike phillips
13th April 2011, 17:28
I'd like to start a bit earlier than that! The welcome page (Creator 2.01/Windows XP) 'Building and running an example' tutorial tells me that when I have selected 'animated titles' I get, at '2' 'Select targets for the project.' I don't. That page does not appear. I have

Project Folder tree left
Edit panel mid (main.cpp) and
QT Reference Documentation right.

What now?

squidge
13th April 2011, 19:22
As far as I'm aware you only have one target, so theres no use for that dialog?

Now if you had multiple builds of Qt (different versions, different platforms, etc) that it would useful.

mike phillips
13th April 2011, 19:46
I can see that - not very well covered in the tutorial?

On to Qmake, then - why do I need to 'run Qmake' for this 'project'? Where is this guidance on the web?

I try QTscript Calculator - it compiles and I have a release exe. I does not run -'Procedure entry point xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx could not be located in the dynamic link library QtCore4.dll'

Now what?

EDIT: Thank the Lord for QTForum.org - I found a cure via Google

"My Solution: ...found old QtCore and QtGui dll's in System32 directory. The release version was referencing these dll's. I removed them. "

squidge
13th April 2011, 20:33
Could be something as simple as the tutorial being written for an earlier version of Qt Creator.

If you read the QMake documentation you'll see why its necessary, its basically makes the entire process simpler. Without it you'll be writing makefiles by hand.

wysota
13th April 2011, 22:41
On to Qmake, then - why do I need to 'run Qmake' for this 'project'?
Because makefiles for examples are prepared according to the build paths and not deployment paths. So you need to regenerate the makefile for proper paths.

Where is this guidance on the web?
The guidance is in the manual, as usual.

I try QTscript Calculator - it compiles and I have a release exe. I does not run -'Procedure entry point xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx could not be located in the dynamic link library QtCore4.dll'
It means you have more than one version of QtCore4.dll and the one you are using is not the one you should be using.