PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about Qt multiscreen application

remygs
13th April 2011, 15:33
Hi, I'm beginning Qt programming and I'm wondering what would be the proper way for my application to setup multiple fullscreen windows on multiple screens. I'm not looking for someone to give me step by step directions, I'm just a bit confused by the varying answers I found on the web and I'd like to get a few tips to start my application design "the proper way" instead of cobbling it any way I can and having to redo everything later). I'm an ok C programmer ; I just dont have my head wrapped completely around Qt yet.

Basically, my app is destined to open one window per screen on a multi-screen workstation, each one being full screen and serving as a base canvas on which the user can click to add widgets (the user sets his interface as he wishes, this is for a lighting control program). All the UI elements will be drawn by the app, so no titlebar/menus, I need to cover every inch of the screen (It will eventually run as a X11 app without any window manager like an embedded system but on standard computer hardware so no memory/resource constraints)

What I'm not sure about is :

How can I find out how many screens are connected on the workstation and open a fullscreen base window on each screen and how should I derive my app classes so that I dont muck around the program structure, signal/slotmessaging system or other important features.

All the rest I'm reasonably sure I can figure out while I'm doing it and any screwups will be localized to widgets/ui elements ; it's the main program structure I'm worried about mucking up and having to redo completely down the road.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

Cordially,
Remy

ChrisW67
15th April 2011, 05:12
You should look to QDesktopWidget for information on multi-head systems.