PDA

View Full Version : Qt and debugg... How to set ?

tonnot
14th April 2011, 12:19
I don understand the settings I have to do in order to debugg using QT + Mingw.
At the debugger tabs I have only GDB.exe location.
I dont know (and dont understand nothing ....) what more I have to do ....
I can debugg, but I have the impression that it is tremendous slow...
Any tutorial to set up this ? Any link? any help ?
Thanks

ChrisW67
15th April 2011, 03:34
You don't have to change anything with the out-of-the-box Qt SDK to have a working debugger.

Open your project in Qt Creator.
Press F5
or click the Start Debugging button (lower left)
or select Start Debugging for the Debug menu.

Doesn't get much easier than that. The project will be built in debug mode and run in the debugger. Running in a debugger is always slower than running release code. The code itself is much larger and the debugger has to keep track of things as they happen.

You can adjust the definition of the release and debug, build and run settings from the Project panel (left toolbar).

tonnot
15th April 2011, 08:29
But ..... I have the impression that it is too slow....
Any idea to improve it ? (I have mingw)

ChrisW67
16th April 2011, 05:16
Ultimately, the program runs as fast as the program runs. The debugger adds some overhead that is being used to buy the ability to stop the program at will, on a certain line, when a certain condition is met, or when it crashes and tell you something useful about the state of things. There are some things that can be done regarding speed of access to symbol files in section 18 of the manual
http://www.scribd.com/doc/50108779/77/Index-Files-Speed-Up-gdb

In general I have found the entire MingW suite on Windows to be very slow compared to the equivalent GNU tools on Linux.

You could switch to the Microsoft compiler and debugger for a different perspective.