PDA

View Full Version : install NAS : can't find some lib

Kunkka
18th April 2011, 10:30
Enviroment : Fedora13 under WMware
NAS software package: nas-1.9.2.src.tar.gz
gcc version: 4.4.5 20101112 (Red Hat 4.4.5-2) (GCC)

i install the nas following the doc "README":
[root@localhost nas-1.9.2]#xmkmf 
mv -f Makefile Makefile.bak
imake -DUseInstalled -I/usr/share/X11/config

[root@localhost nas-1.9.2]#make World

[root@localhost nas-1.9.2]#make install  
/usr/bin/ld: ../../../lib/audio/libaudio.a(ConnSvr.o): undefined reference to symbol 'XauGetBestAuthByAddr'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'XauGetBestAuthByAddr' is defined in DSO /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 so try adding it to the linker command line
/usr/lib/libXau.so.6: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: ld return 1
make[3]: *** [auctl] error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/ywj/nas-1.9.2/clients/audio/auctl'
make[2]: *** [install] error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ywj/nas-1.9.2/clients/audio'
make[1]: *** [install] error2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ywj/nas-1.9.2/clients'
make: *** [install] error 2

I have experienced many similar problems ,i don't how to solve this problems so that i scared of similar error. It's so hard to find what libs the software lack of for installing.

What am I gonna do ?

Kunkka
19th April 2011, 02:32
:(i have been waiting for the answer all day.
why? i have installed the nas successfully, but it's under the another system Red Hat EnterPrise Linux 5.
i just want to know how to slove the similar problems. :confused:

SixDegrees
19th April 2011, 07:58
It's hard to imagine a more helpful, explicit error message than

/usr/bin/ld: ../../../lib/audio/libaudio.a(ConnSvr.o): undefined reference to symbol 'XauGetBestAuthByAddr'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'XauGetBestAuthByAddr' is defined in DSO /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 so try adding it to the linker command line

It tells you exactly what the problem is and exactly what to do about it.

It's depressing to see that there are still projects using imake. Even the original perpetrators - the authors of the X windowing system - have finally abandoned it. Meanwhile, you're stuck with this bad decision, and you'll have to wade through the build system to find where to modify the link line mentioned above. If you're lucky, the developers will have anticipated system variation and provided instructions on what files to change when migrating - most likely in the top level directory, although if they're following X-style packaging and documentation it could be anywhere.

Kunkka
19th April 2011, 10:44
Thank you .
It's depressing to see that there are still projects using imake. Even the original perpetrators - the authors of the X windowing system - have finally abandoned it. Meanwhile, you're stuck with this bad decision, and you'll have to wade through the build system to find where to modify the link line mentioned above. If you're lucky, the developers will have anticipated system variation and provided instructions on what files to change when migrating - most likely in the top level directory, although if they're following X-style packaging and documentation it could be anywhere.

So what you are said is that the method of imake projects has gone out of use. :confused::confused: And , the developers didn't provide the instructions without careful prior deliberation about system variation.

helpless and hopeless...:(