PDA

View Full Version : Debug version of Qwt?

KeyserSoze
14th May 2011, 02:56
I have Ubuntu 10.10, and I downloaded the zip file of qwt-6.0.0 from sourceforge. When I open the .pro file in qtcreator 2.0.1 (that came with the qt sdk for 4.7.0), and build qwt, it creates .so files with no 'd' in them to denote debug. If I select the Debug or Release configuration in QtCreator, it still builds .so files with the same name, and I am unable to step into them when debugging my Qt app.

I'm not used to building .so libraries, so I tried changing to .a libraries, in case that made a difference. I commenting out the line "QWT_CONFIG += QwtDll" in qwtconfig.pri, and sure enough, now .a files are built. However, still no debug version. I next tried modifying CONFIG in qwt.pro, in various ways, including but not limited to:
1) CONFIG += debug
2) CONFIG += debug_and_release
3) CONFIG = debug
4) CONFIG -= release
CONFIG -= debug_and_release
CONFIG += debug
5) config += debug

config -= release

config -= debug_and_release

CONFIG += debug

CONFIG -= release

CONFIG -= debug_and_release

(Don't ask where lower-case "config" came from, found it online somewhere, tried it, it didn't work either).

Anyone know how I can build Qwt for debug? I saw some comments online that said that Qwt's pro files may not put a 'd' in the debug library, so on many of my build attempts I didn't just look at the name, I also tried debugging it. But in all cases, I could not step into qwt functions with qtcreator, and when I set breakpoints in them they weren't just a red circle, they had a dab of purple on them (whatever that means).

Also, I've been deleting the contents of the qwt/lib directory, and checking timestamps of the created files, so I am sure they're getting rebuilt.

Thanks,
Miles

Uwe
14th May 2011, 08:08
Appending a 'd' to a library is Windows crap - you don't have such a thing on Linux.

So "CONFIG += debug" already did it. With the 'file' command you can check the library later to see how it had been built - the file name is unimportant.

Also note that - in opposite to Windows - you can link debug and release libraries together. Of course you have symbolic information in these parts of your application only, that has been compiled in debug mode.

Uwe