PDA

View Full Version : To run automatically at boot time on SuSE 10.1

rud_1023
26th October 2006, 12:55
I use SuSE 10.1
I want an application called “backlight” to run automatically at boot time.
I put this “backlight” in the directory of /etc/init.d, and then add “/etc/init.d/backlight” into the file of /etc/init.d/boot.local

However, I fail to it to run at boot time.
How can I achieve this?

Thank you for your help.

Rüd

wysota
26th October 2006, 18:17
Add it to /etc/rc.local. Remember to detach it from shell (using an ampersand) if it doesn't to that by itself.

aMan
26th October 2006, 18:18
Have you used "./backlight" or "backlight"? Don't know if there is a difference in boot.local, but in the bash there is one..
Try to add it into an existing script like random.
And maybe it is sufficient to put the program into the autostart folder (/home/username/.kde/Autostart/ )
You can use the sample script (/etc/init.d/skeleton.compat) to make an init script and then add it with yast. That would be the most elegant solution.

edit:
@wysota
It doesn't exist on a suse 10.1. Is it possible to create it? (I had a similar problem)

rud_1023
27th October 2006, 12:11
Application CANNOT run automatically when entering level 5 on SuSE 10.1

This “backlight” is an executable application, I add the string of “/etc/init.d/backlight” into the file of “/etc/init.d/random”.

With chkconfig –l random, it shows
Random 0 : off 1 : off 2 : on 3 : on 4 : off 5 : on 6 : off

I put the application “backlight” into the directory of “/root/Desktop”, this application will appear on the desktop after entering level 5.

This application still does not run automatically after entering level 5.

Thank you for your help.

Rud

aMan
27th October 2006, 12:39
Can you show, how you've added it to the random script?

wysota
27th October 2006, 12:54
@wysota
It doesn't exist on a suse 10.1. Is it possible to create it? (I had a similar problem)

AFAIK rc.local is a standard script run after all other rc scripts so it should work. Of course there are no guarantees :) But even if it doesn't you can add a line to (I think) inittab and it'll run it for you.

@rud_1023: Could you tell us, what exactly do you want to achieve? Do you want it to be run at boot time, at the time your Xserver starts or at the time a user logs into the Xserver?

rud_1023
30th October 2006, 08:13
I use SuSE 10.1, KDE 3.5.1

I want to run this application at the time a user logs into the Xserver.

I have just added this line “/etc/init.d/backlight” into random script, it CANNOT work.

I put this application into the directory ~/.kde/Autostart.
This application will run automatically at the time a user logs into the Xserver.

Thank you for your help.

Rüd

wysota
30th October 2006, 08:45
I have just added this line “/etc/init.d/backlight” into random script, it CANNOT work.

It can't work because there is no X server running yet so the application fails. You have simply asked a wrong question in the first place ;) So you got correct answers, but not for a question you wanted answered.