PDA

View Full Version : Scripting engine

stevey
27th October 2006, 09:05
Hi,

I'm building a system whcih stores content into a cache structure along which a bunch of metadata.
I was planning on creating a plugin system to allow users to create their own plugins for exporting content and data from the system in their own way.
For example, they may want to change the name's that image files are given based on the associated data, or generate pdfs of images contained in the cache, or maybe multipage tiffs, etc.
While this is good in theory, it does mean that they'd need some basic understanding of C++, and be able to make calls to an API I'm creating, as well as have Qt installed in order to build the plugin.
I'd like to retain this plugin architecture for proprietary plugins that I'd write, but I'd like to build one that reads a script file so that more business process oriented people could more easily just tinker with a simple script to get the desired output if they so desire.

Can anyone suggest how I might go abotu embedding a scripting engine within a Qt application and which language would be more suited to the environment?
I was thinking maybe python or lua, but I'd be interested to see how people have tackled a similar problem.

Thanks,

Steve York.

jpn
27th October 2006, 09:57
Maybe QSA (http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/addon/qsa) can do what you want?

stevey
27th October 2006, 12:36
Thanks so much, that looks like what I need.
I've seen the word QSA while browsing the Trolltech but never bothered to pay attention and find out what it was.

Sounds like it will make the task of binding classes much easier than other approaches.
Thanks again :cool: