PDA

View Full Version : QT vs Windows API vs Wxwidget?

Gryphes
6th June 2011, 08:26
what should I learn? :confused:

I want to develop rapid applications but they can perform more advance functions . do you think windows api is waste of time to learn?? cause I Microsoft introduces .NET and almost everything can be done with .NET now. so C#+.NET is a best solution. so what's the point with C++ + with GUI Applications? :confused:
I found out QT is easy to learn and since it allows to develop closed source applications under LGPL without paying for nokia why anyone go with Windows API?

Santosh Reddy
6th June 2011, 08:50
It all depends on many other factors, like where you want to deploy your application, how portable you want it to be. If you are used to .NET, then rapid applications can be developed in to too, but again its all depends on your requirements, and target product

I found out QT is easy to learn and since it allows to develop closed source applications under LGPL without paying for nokia why anyone go with Windows API?
Yes, Qt is easy to learn if you already know C++ basics.

Qt is not just a C++ and GUI, it has much more than that, it has complete host of framework which enable even a beginner to write advance functional apps with in no time, it has good documentation, nice community support, flexible licensing options. Going with WinAPI may have different reasons, which I cannot think off, as I am not much used with windows API programming.

ComaWhite
6th June 2011, 21:57
Well if you like how ugly and painful MFC was, it's just as painful in wxWidgets. wxWidgets doesn't even have the same functionality as Qt. It's wxString class is just awful. The socket library isn't as great as Qt.

WinAPI is only if you are a masochist. It's not even worth using imho. You're better off with Gtk+ if you are using C else I wouldn't even bother. Plus it limits your app to Windows only. If you do it in Qt. You can easily just port it between OS's be great to go. You might have to make a few chances if you are using hard coded paths. If you only use Windows, you can easily get others to help with other ports to work on Mac and Linux.