PDA

View Full Version : QTcpSocket leaking? What am I doing wrong?

JohannesMunk
20th June 2011, 22:27
Hello all!

I have been trying to pinpoint a heavy memory leak in a realtime network library I wrote, without success. As I transmit quite a lot of data (5-10MB/sec) the leak quickly crashes the application. The weird thing is that in about half of the program starts (without recompiling, just restarting!) no leaking occurs, at all! This happens both under windows (mingw/Qt4.71, msvc2008/Qt4.73) and under linux (g++/4.70).

After a lot of code rechecking and doing most of the memory allocations directly, my programm shows the following valgrind output:

==2784== 327,763,678 bytes in 398 blocks are possibly lost in loss record 284 of 284
==2784== at 0x4025BD3: malloc (vg_replace_malloc.c:236)
==2784== by 0x4D6E05C: qMalloc(unsigned int) (qmalloc.cpp:55)
==2784== by 0x4D76A34: QByteArray::resize(int) (qbytearray.cpp:1379)
==2784== by 0x4C8D5B9: QRingBuffer::reserve(int) (qringbuffer_p.h:187)
==2784== by 0x4C8793C: QAbstractSocketPrivate::readFromSocket() (qabstractsocket.cpp:1158)
==2784== by 0x4C87F4B: QAbstractSocketPrivate::canReadNotification() (qabstractsocket.cpp:614)
==2784== by 0x4C74A7A: QAbstractSocketEngine::readNotification() (qabstractsocketengine.cpp:154)
==2784== by 0x4C75CEE: QReadNotifier::event(QEvent*) (qnativesocketengine.cpp:1103)
==2784== by 0x41B7FFB: QApplicationPrivate::notify_helper(QObject*, QEvent*) (qapplication.cpp:4396)
==2784== by 0x41BED92: QApplication::notify(QObject*, QEvent*) (qapplication.cpp:3798)
==2784== by 0x4E8D68A: QCoreApplication::notifyInternal(QObject*, QEvent*) (qcoreapplication.cpp:732)
==2784== by 0x4EBDA12: socketNotifierSourceDispatch(_GSource*, int (*)(void*), void*) (qcoreapplication.h:215)
I'm using a standard QTcpSocket.

void QntsBlockStreamReader::setupDataTCP()
{
nextBlockSize = 0;
dataPortTCP = new QTcpSocket();
connect(dataPortTCP,SIGNAL(connected()),this,SLOT( dataPortConnectedTCP()));
connect(dataPortTCP,SIGNAL(readyRead()),this,SLOT( dataIncomingTCP()));
dataPortTCP->connectToHost(writerAddress,dataPortNo);
}

In it's readyRead slot, I create block objects - which I checked are properly released after usage.

void QntsBlockStreamReader::dataIncomingTCP()
{
while (dataPortTCP->bytesAvailable() > 0)
{
if (nextBlockSize == 0) {
if (dataPortTCP->bytesAvailable() < (sizeof(quint8)+sizeof(TBlockSize))) return;
// BlockSize contains the blockSize value itself
QByteArray b = dataPortTCP->peek(sizeof(quint8)+sizeof(TBlockSize));
QntsDataStream ds(&b,QIODevice::ReadOnly);
quint8 protocolVersion;
ds >> protocolVersion >> nextBlockSize;
}
if ((TBlockSize)dataPortTCP->bytesAvailable() < nextBlockSize) return;
logMsg(QString("Bytes Available: %1 - %2").arg(dataPortTCP->bytesAvailable()).arg(QntsBlock::allocatedBlocks)) ;
QByteArray newData = dataPortTCP->read(nextBlockSize);
blockArrived(new QntsBlock(newData),dataPortTCP->peerAddress(),dataPortTCP->peerPort());
nextBlockSize = 0;
}
}

QntsBlock::QntsBlock(const QByteArray& ba)
{
m_size = ba.size();
m_data = (char*)malloc(m_size);
memcpy(&m_data[0],(void*)ba.constData(),m_size);
allocatedBlocks += 1;
}

QntsBlock::~QntsBlock()
{
allocatedBlocks -= 1;
free(m_data);
}

I would greatly appreciate any clues or hints how to proceed! First of all I would like to make sure, that I am not doing something plainly stupid, before investing even more time boiling this down, by creating a small test app, that shows the same symptoms.

Thx a lot in advance!

Johannes

moviemax
21st June 2011, 15:16
I didn`t get your code exactly but once I had the same problem with
mismatch the blocking functions with the non-blocking signals & slots.

If you create some Sockets within a exec() event loop you should use the
non blocking way.

read carefully the QAbstractSocket
int http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.1/qabstractsocket.html#protected-function

JohannesMunk
21st June 2011, 15:57
Thank you for your time.. but, as you can see in the code I provided, I am using the readyRead-signal and direct reading of the blockbuffer, without any blocking calls to the socket.

Furthermore, I don't think that swaping to the blocking functions will change the memory allocation behaviour of the socket, which seems to leak.

The code valgrind points out is purely Qt. Am I inadvertently holding a reference to an implicitly shared byte array? I can't see it!

Thx a lot in advance for any further hints!

Johannes

moviemax
21st June 2011, 22:14
So does QntsBlockStreamReader lives in a thread inside a event loop?

I this Class created in the GUI thread do you have some threads like this?

myThread::start()
while ( m_running)
{

}

JohannesMunk
21st June 2011, 22:35
If that would be the case, then my socket could not emit its readyRead signal. But it does so beautifully.

Everything works. But sporadically leaks huge amounts of memory!

The reader and thus the tcpsocket lives in a thread like this:

QntsBlockStreamReader::QntsBlockStreamReader(QStri ng pName,QThread* pThread)
{
thread = pThread;
if (thread == 0)
{
thread = new QThread(this);
thread->start();
}

this->moveToThread(thread);

QMetaObject::invokeMethod(this,"setupDataTCP");
}

void QntsBlockStreamReader::setupDataTCP()
{
nextBlockSize = 0;
dataPortTCP = new QTcpSocket();
connect(dataPortTCP,SIGNAL(connected()),this,SLOT( dataPortConnectedTCP()));
connect(dataPortTCP,SIGNAL(readyRead()),this,SLOT( dataIncomingTCP()));
dataPortTCP->connectToHost(writerAddress,dataPortNo);
}

I don't think that we are close to a solution here, because this would be a fundamental flaw and not a sporadic leak.

Joh

wysota
22nd June 2011, 02:00
Please provide a minimal compilable example reproducing the problem.

By the way, creating a thread with 'this' as a parent and moving 'this' object to the thread effectively moves the thread object to itself which is wrong.

You might be leaking memory because of an incorrect use of threads and sockets. Some cleanup routine might not be firing if some piece of code gets confused by incorrect thread affinity.

JohannesMunk
22nd June 2011, 10:25
Wysota, thanks for your input! I quickly tested your hypothesis. Inside the MainForm constructor, thus from the mainthread:

reader = new QntsBlockStreamReader("COVE BXPD",QThread::currentThread());
... and it still leaks! I followed your discussions concerning sockets and threading and I agree that in most cases threading a socket is plainly unnecessary. In this case I have the additional special requirement of minimal latency (~1ms) for my working code, and I can't take the chance of mainthread-stuff interfering. Furthermore this library is also intended to be used from a non qt-app, and I want the socket to handle its data even if the calling thread messes up.

I am inclined to implement the socket handling myself, without any unnecessary intermediate ringbuffering. On the other hand I am still convinced that QTCPSocket is error free and its just my usage of it that screws it up! I will try to investigate how usually its ringbuffer is released. If that does not reveal any new clues, I will try to reproduce the problem in a small test application!

Johannes

wysota
22nd June 2011, 10:38
Try getting rid of threads completely and check if the leak is still there. And explain why you think there is a leak in the first place. Valgrind reports your memory as reachable so there is a pointer somewhere that points to those memory blocks. Maybe you're just not freeing memory yourself somewhere? That's why I asked for a minimal example reproducing the problem. BTW. I don't see how putting each socket in a separate thread helps achieving <1ms latency.

JohannesMunk
22nd June 2011, 15:51
I did test it entirely without threads! It must be the internal ringbuffer that has some dangling pointers left. I don't know what is going on.

But I've had enough and implemented a native windows socket implementation, and instant reward: no leaks anymore!

I will hunt down this usage pattern incompatibility / bug, but not this week. The project comes first!

I will be back with this!

Johannes